Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to do about excess gas at night?

Exclamation What to do about excess gas at night?

I think the solids are the culprit.
    I have tried very many combinations of baby food and Little Man seems to always get horribly painful gas in the night.
    No problems during the day at all.

Last night, as I do many nights lately, I put him in our bed to get some rest.

He wants to nurse ALL night long. Hold him throughout the entire night or lay on my chest. Now he is proceeding to BITE, too, when I BF (esp. at night)and I am feeling dejected and VERY overwhelmed.

During the night, I see him rolling from side to side with his eyes still closed while little farts come out.
    I hardly get any sleep and I don't know what to do. He also seems exhausted in the morning.

He has had incredibly scarce poops, and once he does.....very thick, like icing.

I stopped the solids in the evening, and only give him some around noontime.

Still, no relief from the gas that seems to keep him (and me) up.

What foods give babies excess gas/constipation and what do you do about it?

I don't ever remember it being this difficult or terrible for my DD. What's going on!?

Thanks,
    Becca

Default Re: What to do about excess gas at night?

I have the very same problem. If he is constipated (ie. no poops on the third day), give him a glycerine suppository cut in half, up the butt. This will relieve him in NO TIME, and isn't painful. But it doesn't solve the gas issue. To my knowledge, nothing but time will.

My little girl is 7.5 mos and still has gas every 1 hr 50 min at night, which makes me a very sleepless mom. But she has to pass gas. It's grown less painful at this point, and she's better at getting it out, but I think we still have a while to go. When your little one is sitting up and crawling, things should get MUCH better. All my best!!

Gripe water helps, as does tummy sleeping (or sleeping on top of mom or dad). Bicycle kicks used to work for DD. The chiro also showed us some reflex points. PM me if you'd like to know the details.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

What are you feeding him? He may not be ready for those foods
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi there girls.
    He eats only Stage 1 foods, Earths Best Organic baby food:

sweet potatoes
    apples
    peas
    carrots
    pears
    *avocado once (in the mesh bag-thing for babies)
    *bananas (in the mesh bag-thing for babies)

I have followed the 'guidelines' on Kelly mom and Dr Sears, as well as advice and LLL.

And have gone very, very slow with introducing them.

I also posted this in Sleep or Lack of It....
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=49082

and this one re: food allergy ??'s in Introducing Solids..
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=45963

My daughter gets extremely constipated whenever she has too much fiber. We have to make a conscious effort to feed her meat, soup/stock, fats & oils to help her stay regular. www.fibermenace.com

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.