Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help and advice!

Question Need help and advice!

Im Jenn, I have a 3 1/2 month old daugther, Madeline. We started off exclusivly breastfeeding from the start. We did have latch issues in the beginning but used a nipple shield for about a month and then she started latching just fine. I had a wonderful supply up tell about a month ago. She started going through a growth spurt and refused to latch and it was stressing me out and I my supply def. dropped. She stopped latching all together for awhile. Right now I am pumping every 2 hours and giving her everything I pump and sup. formula bc I cant pump enough. I nurse her at night bc I have plenty of milk. I have tried Fenugeek and red raspberry pills and they havent really made a difference. Im wondering who I would go to, to get a perscription to up my supply. Im not ready to stop bfing all together so im trying sooo hard to keep this going but the pumping is getting hard. I know nursing more freq. will help but she still isnt latching all the time and will only nurse for a total of 10 mins at the most. Any suggestions? Im SO not ready to stop nursing I want to be able to provide for her

Default Re: Need help and advice!

So at night when she nurses, is she half asleep? Is this the only time she will latch? If she nurses at night that's great and shows she can do it. Try nursing her as she is waking from a nap...maybe it will have the same effect

I'm sure others will have more advice

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Have you tried skin-to-skin with her? Lie her on your bare chest and undress her down to her diaper. Let her lie on your chest on allow her to hear your heartbeat and smell your familiar smell. Have you tried cupping your breast in the "C" hold and gently brushing her lips with your nipple? Also, try to express some milk out on your nipple so that she knows there is indeed some goodies in there! While nursing her, you may want to do some breast compressions to keep her interested in the feeding. This gives her a jolt of milk to "wake her up." How much of the fenugreek and how often were you taking it? Please feel free to PM me if you need to talk!

You said that she does latch sometimes, but just eats for 10 minutes...my son only nurses for about 10 minutes and that's all he needs. Some babies become efficient and don't need to nurse for a long time. Maybe the times that she won't latch, she isn't hungry??? Are you offering the nursing on a schedule or are you waiting for her to seem hungry? I don't think that they give prescriptions anymore for supply. It sounds like it is a stressfull situation for you, which won't help the supply. Maybe just nurse her when you can (or when she will), pump when you want to, suppliment with formula and just don't stress about it. When the stress goes away, the supply might come back. My advice is just not to worry about it. Do what you can and that's all your daughter can ask. She is lucky to have a mom who is willing to try anything to give her the best nutrition.
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

I'm sorry you're having such difficulties. A baby who won't latch has to be one of the most frustrating challenges out there. But I think there is definitely hope for you and your daughter to get back on track!!!

There may be some non-prescription options out there for you to help you increase your supply and get your daughter back to the breast. Here's a short list:

1. Nursing vacation. Shelve all non-baby commitments and spend a few days in bed with your baby, topless, doing as much skin-to-skin contact as possible. Bathing with your baby may help, too. The fact that your daughter will still latch on at night is a really positive sign! It means she can probably do it during the day, too, if she is properly motivated.

2. SNS (Supplemental Nursing System). This allows your baby to receive all her supplemental nutrition at the breast, which stimulates your production at the same time and teaches your baby that food comes from the breast, and not from a bottle.

3. Good pump. What sort of pump do you have? There is a huge difference in effectiveness between pumps- the off-the-shelf consumer models are generally meant for moms who want to pump an occasional bottle, while a hospital-grade rental pump is meant for a mom who needs to increase her supply.

4. Lactation Consultant. See one ASAP! She can give you tips on latching and pumping, rent you a pump if you need it, and evaluate your supply. I strongly suggest going to see someone with the IBCLC (International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant) credentials. There really is no substitute for hands-on help!

There are two prescription galactogogues (milk-increasers) out there: Reglan and Domperidone. Both can be prescribed by your midwife or OB. However, I think there are a few important considerations to mull over before you decide to go the prescription drug route:

1. Reglan is associated with an increased risk for depression. Discuss any personal or family history of depression with your care provider before you decide to take this med.

2. If you are in the U.S. and you choose to take Domperidone, you will have to get it at a compounding pharmacy or from Canada. It is not FDA-approved for use in the U.S.; however, many people consider it the safer drug as it is not associated with a risk for depression.

3. Use of either Reglan or Domperidone as galactogogues generally seems to be considered safe, but it is "off-label" use- these drugs are intended to treat acid reflux. Increased milk production is just a side-effect.

4. Many moms do see increased production using Reg. or Dom., but my personal feeling is that neither one works well without frequent, effective pumping/nursing. If you are struggling with pumping/nursing, then it really pays to work on those problems as well instead of just relying on the drug.

Hang in there! You can do it!!!

my lc told me of a prescription drug for acid reflix that begins with an R.... side effect--- ups milk supply. ask your OB though
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

I remember the time pperiod b/w 3 and 4 months particularly trying. Ds was trying to up my supply, he wanted a better sleep/wake pattern, we had just finished weaning from the nipple shield... it was a mess. I got an rx from mt obgyn for reglan, which helped.

Hang in there. Keep nursing on demand. You're doing great! Keep us posted.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Thanks girls for all the replys!! I have been soo busy!! Everything everyone said was VERY helpful!!..I spent a few days just trying to get her nursing and nothing else and she will latch now again pretty much everytime except her like 4 or5ish feeding..WHICH I think could be cause she is ready for cereal..

I get on another forum but u ladies here have given such great advice!! Im glad to know this is here for bfing concerns!! It has been a huge struggle for me but is also a HUGE want of mine..So I have been determined to keep it going..

It seems like I just have to get her at the right time..Like right when she wakes even if she dosent seem interested she will latch where as if I were to let her play when she wakes up she will then get too hungry and wont latch..

Thanks again everyone!! Im sure I will be around more and have more questions!! Babies def keep u busy!!