Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping breast milk

Default Pumping breast milk

I use an automatic Evenflo breast pump to express my milk atleast once a day while also nursing on demand to my one month old. Sometimes I don't have time to pump, so I store what I get in the fridge for the day; most of the time that milk gets eaten up within the 24 hour period. What I would like to know is how long does breast milk keep in the fridge? In the freezer? And what is the proper way to store and defrost? I normally store my milk in a regular baby bottle with a nipple and everything so I can just pop it in my bottle warmer and be good to go. What do I use to store my milk when I freeze it? Thanks for any advice given!

Default Re: Pumping breast milk

Here's a great resource for storage info: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

You can refrigerate for 8 days, freezing time varies based on the type of freezer (up to 3 months in a fridge with a separate freezer compartment). I store in breastmilk storage bags (mostly Medela brand because they hook right on to the pump saving me from having to pour from bottle to bag). I find the bags take up less room than freezing in bottles. I have a side-by-side fridge so the freezer section isn't that big. To thaw, I either put the bag in the fridge the night before I need it, or I stick it in a bowl of warm water.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09