Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Afraid To Poop

Default Re: Afraid To Poop

Watch out for the Miralax. Some have had success with it, but I have heard scary stories about side effects. I do agree with the concept, that you have to keep the stool soft and super easy to pass to get over the withholding. With DD I didn't want to use anything systemic (to "make" her go), so I used the Babylax liquid glycerin suppositories when she really needed a good cleanout. When she was getting the idea on letting it out, I went back to the solid glycerin suppositories. They are much less traumatic, and it is more of just the stimulation/sensation that gets the reflex going. Some parents have had success with stimulation alone, usually a lubed-up thermometer or finger. Now that DD has been going daily without the suppositories, she is learning her signals. And if she has a hard time going, I apply a little bit of "un-petroleum" jelly. Rubbing it around triggers the reflex, and the moisture speeds it out and keeps it from hurting. I recommend applying some jelly before all poops for a while, until she is no longer scared of them. HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Whats she eating that you think is doing it??? How much liquid does she drink a day ? What is it? How often is little miss nursing???
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Too much diary I think is the culprit. She loves cheese and pasta. We're switching back to Rice Milk and adding more fiber.

Thanks for the hint on the Miralax. To be honest, I am leery of using anything "systemic" or even suppositories. We have past the constipation stage, I just want her to be relaxed and let nature take it's course as opposed to being fearful about the pain.

To be clear (sorry at work so language gets a little stuffy ), her stools are not hard anymore. She just "expects" it to hurt so doesn't relax into the movement, kwim?

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I know what youre saying... glad you are pretty sure of the culprit. Does she get probiotics? That might help too.

(But for some reason I still cant figure out, they harden L's poop?!?!?!? )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    I know what youre saying... glad you are pretty sure of the culprit. Does she get probiotics? That might help too.

(But for some reason I still cant figure out, they harden L's poop?!?!?!? )
    I think different brands/formulations are more prone to this. I definitely noticed it & heard from others with Garden of Life brand. I heard Bio Kult (Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride's brand) is good for avoiding this problem. There is another brand that is supposedly about as good but less expensive. I forget the name though.

By the way, I found fiber to have a constipating effect on DD. Increasing her protein and fats really helped move things along. www.fibermenace.com

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Proteins are a good option. We can certainly do that. I'll try the Bio Kult too.

Thanks everyone.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I think we maybe having the same problem. My almost 2 year old seems to be holding it. When she goes to poop, she arches her back why standing up and seems to be squeezing her butt. I don't know how to make this better. She turns red and acts like she is trying to, but the way she is doing it looks like she is trying to hold it in. I try and tell her to squat and "poo poo like this" and she will squat and say "poo poo like this mommy" and I say yes, but she won't. Any suggestions on how to get her to stop pooing the way she is. We try the potty, but nothing happens.

I did get some plain KY Jelly and rubbed it down there to see if it will help just a bit ago, so far we are still waiting to see if this will help.

For those of you struggling with constipated kids, I suggest taking a peek at this article: Management of chronic constipation in infants and toddlers, Loening-Baucke, V., American Family Physician 1994.

I used to ask my ds to grunt (like one would make if passing something...ahem...major ). Making the noise would often relax the muscles enough for him to go. If that didn't work, I would give reminders to push along with the grunt. Sometimes a gentle belly massage while comfortably seated on the potty, or pouring warm water over the region (triggers the reflex to let go) would do the trick.

I talked to the PD office today and they said to start milk of magnesium. She said start with 1/2 tsp for a few days and if they doesn't help, move up to 1 tsp for several days. She said we have to get it to where it is soft and easy for her to go again, but not runny. She also said the doctor said this is a crucial age (2 years) and we have to get this corrected now so that it doesn't get any worse. She said to not cut out what we are eating, but to make sure she is eating plenty of fruits and of course taking in plenty of fluids. I asked about cutting out dairy and breads and she said no. She just kept saying "lots of fruit." I can't stand to see my LO is such pain and having such a problem. It is also very red down there, so I know that is why she doesn't want to go. This morning she just screamed when I changed her diaper and she just threw the diaper I was going to put on her across the room.