Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Afraid To Poop

Default Re: Afraid To Poop

Quote Originally Posted by kci3673 View Post
    I talked to the PD office today and they said to start milk of magnesium. She said start with 1/2 tsp for a few days and if they doesn't help, move up to 1 tsp for several days. She said we have to get it to where it is soft and easy for her to go again, but not runny. She also said the doctor said this is a crucial age (2 years) and we have to get this corrected now so that it doesn't get any worse. She said to not cut out what we are eating, but to make sure she is eating plenty of fruits and of course taking in plenty of fluids. I asked about cutting out dairy and breads and she said no. She just kept saying "lots of fruit." I can't stand to see my LO is such pain and having such a problem. It is also very red down there, so I know that is why she doesn't want to go. This morning she just screamed when I changed her diaper and she just threw the diaper I was going to put on her across the room.
    I don't understand the advice from docs not to cut out foods that give LOs a problem. Where is the logic in that?

Also, just FYI that my DD was eating fruit exclusively when we started solids, and that's when her constipation started. Going back to EBF alleviated it. But aside from that, the only thing that has really made a difference for US was limiting fiber intake along with increasing fat and protein.

I don't know if it has been mentioned since this thread started a while ago, but supplementing magnesium and vitamin C has helped a lot of LOs suffering from constipation. Our ped actually sells the mag supplement - Natural Calm - in her office (why she didn't tell me this before Rx lactulose, I have no idea). I didn't have much luck getting DD to take it (although she does love vit C), but I give her epsom salt baths almost daily. I've been told that mag is well-absorbed through the skin so that's why the baths work.

As far as MoM, that worked for a little while with DD, but then stopped working. Plus, I started reading that it's not good to take long term. I do think it's one of the better alternatives as far as internal laxatives go.

Also, have you started using an aloe or lubricating jelly (I get "un-petroleum" jelly) to help make it less painful? That helped DD get over the fear - making it really easy for the poop to slide out.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

I'll have to try the epsom salt baths. That sounds like a good idea.

I did buy some "un-petroleum" lubricant and tried it yesterday, but it didn't seem to work. I may not have used enough. Now trying to put something like that on her is a huge fight.

I did read that if you increase fiber intake that plenty of fluids are also needed. I think that may be one of our problems. She doesn't drink enough water during the day.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that we pass this phase fairly quickly. I am worried about it and I feel so bad for DD.

One other thing...my god daughter had a poop issue as well. She was constipated and after that was afraid to poop in the toilet. She reverted back to pullups to poop (she would ask my friend for one when she had to go). It was really hard to get her to go again, they eventually brought out the potty chair again and she was less afraid to go in it for some reason. Then after several weeks they worked back to the large toilet. This was all done while she wasn't constipated so it wasn't hard for her anymore.

Good Luck
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post
    I used to ask my ds to grunt (like one would make if passing something...ahem...major ). Making the noise would often relax the muscles enough for him to go. If that didn't work, I would give reminders to push along with the grunt. Sometimes a gentle belly massage while comfortably seated on the potty, or pouring warm water over the region (triggers the reflex to let go) would do the trick.
    This is what has worked for K. Just a reminder and lots of praise. She reminds us to say, "good job"

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by kci3673 View Post
    I did buy some "un-petroleum" lubricant and tried it yesterday, but it didn't seem to work. I may not have used enough. Now trying to put something like that on her is a huge fight.

I did read that if you increase fiber intake that plenty of fluids are also needed. I think that may be one of our problems. She doesn't drink enough water during the day.
    How did you apply the jelly? My DD hates to lie down for me to do anything down there, but I can usually just have her "hug my legs". I bend over and just wipe it with my finger between her cheeks while she is standing.

Something I've been meaning to post to my "less fiber, not more" speaches is a blog entry on www.proteinpower.com. Links don't seem to work, but if you go to the site, click on "blogs" and do a search for "mucus". There is an interesting analogy between fiber and cigarettes! Worth taking a look at.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.