Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help...

Exclamation Need help...

I am a new mom so I am not sure if this is normal. He has been spitting up A TON. I have been giving him medicine from the doctor for his acid reflux and I am not sure if that would have anything to do with, but I dont think so because I can hardly get him to take it, he spits it out. He has also been more fussy than normal and only sleeps if he is on me. I know the acid refluz causes him to be in pain and he isnt really getting the mediciine, but would the acid reflux cause him to spit up a lot. By a lot I mean after 15 minutes his bib is completely soaked and we have to change it. Should I call the pediatrician on call or am I being over worried. Ahh Just tell me what to do!
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

We LOVE and loving and and we are getting used to cloth diapering!

Default Re: Need help...

You know, I've heard so many moms say their babies spit up so much, that I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Definitely call the doctor and ask what s/he thinks, but spitting up is normal. My DD spit up a lot as well, often it seemed she spit up the whole meal!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I would call your doctor just to calm your nerves. If its nothing then no harm done, but if he is spitting up all day long then he's not getting much to eat. How old is he? Did your milk supply get hevier? When mine did my daughter started throwing up from over eating. I hope i helped. Please call your doctor you will feel better.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

Question Re: Need help...

True, I know that it is normal, but is he getting enough food. I mean he is eating about the same as he normally does just spitting up more. And do you know how to get a baby to take medicine and keep it down?
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

Question Re: Need help...

This may be a dumb question, but how do you know if your supply got heavier. I was saying today that I thought he was over eating. But how do I know when to stop him from eating because I cannot tell if he is full or not?
    Baby B's Mama

Bryce Levi 2/18/08

How are his diapers? Enough wet and dirty diapers? Is the spit-up like projectile type stuff? I am not sure what you are dealing with, but I think sometimes it just seems like a lot more than it is. Our son used to spit up what seemed like a lot to us, but he was getting enough down to more than meet his goal for wet and dirty diapers.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

breastfed babies don't usually overeat. If you have overactive let-down, that could explain the spitting up (also known as reflux).

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09