My daughter is 3 weeks old. I'll highlight my issues below.
1. She was not latching on. I saw a lactation consultant one week after her birth at my hospital. I could not let her not eat for that week so I pumped and bottle fed breastmilk to her. They had me use a nipple shield for retracting nipples. She seemed to do ok nursing?
2. I can't get her to wean off the nipple shield. She is always putting her hands in the way. She pulls the nipple shield off. She gets really frustrated.
3. She nurses and still seems hungry not even an hour later. She will be rooting around and get real fussy with what I believe is the hunger cry. She will then nurse, but I don't think she is very effective or strong at it? Occassionally she falls asleep.
4. My milk supply seems low. I used to pumpe 2 oz's per breast in 7 minutes. Now I pump 1/2 oz on left and barely 1 oz on right. Is this because she was not demanding as much (and why she seemed hungry)?
5. I did supplement formula the past two days and feel guilty. I hate formula. I don't know what to do and now my stress is taking over. She is real content on the formula. Can go 2-3 hours without needing to feed again and finally sleeps. On the breast she is alwasy hungry and rooting and restless.
6. Plenty of wet diapers, tinge of yellow once in awhile. She does not have regular poops. She has gone 2 days with no poop before she poops. Then it was still mustard color, now it is yellow-brown and more firm. I am hoping that is only the formula I supplemented the past two days.
I want to do nothing but BF but this is not working. I am very upset over it and need help. I'll seek help in my area. I don't know what to do and do not want to give it up. Does co sleeping clotheless work for the milk supply????
Any help would really make me happy.