Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning

Default weaning

I am a little frustrated. My dd is 8 months old and I plan to BF at least until a year. I have had somebody tell me that I should start weaning her now. That she is old enough and doesn't need as much milk anymore, that she needs more water and juice. I am not sure if that is true or not, but I thought that breastmilk was the best liquid for her at this time, am I wrong. I pump during the day because I work. At the dc she usually has about 18-21 oz a day and a 1/2 veggie and 1/2 fruit. At night she nurses all she wants and then will also have a little veggies &/or fruit. My goal was to wait until she was 1 then decide about the weaning.........Any thoughts!!!!
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

Default Re: weaning

Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. A baby should BF *AT LEAST* a year, but they can continue for as long as they want.

Water is fine...but juice? Not necessarily. I am no expert, but I am sure some other mamas will agree with me here. I didn't start giving dd juice until she was 18 months or so. And then, I still kept it to a minimum. Of course, now she is a picky toddler and it seems like all she ever drinks is apple juice.

From LLL home page:

A mother and her baby should breastfeed for as long as they wish to breastfeed. The American Academy of Pediatrics currently (2005) recommends: "Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection. Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child." * As solids are introduced, usually around the middle of the first year, your baby will shift his primary source of nutrition from your milk to other foods.

All the benefits of human milk—including nutritional and health—continue for as long as your baby receives your milk. In fact, as your baby takes less human milk, these advantages are condensed into what milk is produced. Many of the health benefits of human milk are dose related, that is, the longer the baby receives human milk, the greater are the benefits.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

I think you should go with your plan and ignore the bad (if well intentioned) advice. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding until at least one year, and the World Health Organization recommends it until at least 2 years. Until they are one the majority of a child's nutrition comes from breastmilk. Even non-breastfed babies get formula until they are at least one, so if you were to wean now you'd have to replace the breastmilk feedings with formula and there is really no point in that. Breastmilk is much better for your baby than formula, water, and juice.

You are doing a great job. Follow your mommy instincts, they'll rarely lead you wrong.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You are right! You keep on nursing her as long as you both want. The WHO and AAP both recommend nursing until at least 1 year and as long after that as both mom and baby wish. You are doing the right thing mama!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

They are wrong. You are right.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

What a silly advice!! I agree with the PPs about BF. As for juice, what can I say, giving a baby juice is ridiculous by itself. It increases blood sugar too fast, causes tooth decay and has no nutritional value.
    You are doing a wonderful job by BF and pumping for your baby (and may I say pumping is a very difficult thing so extra for all pumping mothers). Ignore the ignorant advice coming from the members of the society which is completely ignorant about nutrition (as we can see from the obesity statistics.)

Just want to point out that once solids are introduced, you've technically started the weaning process, but it definately doesn't mean you have to stop nursing

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    I think you should go with your plan and ignore the bad (if well intentioned) advice. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding until at least one year, and the World Health Organization recommends it until at least 2 years. Until they are one the majority of a child's nutrition comes from breastmilk. Even non-breastfed babies get formula until they are at least one, so if you were to wean now you'd have to replace the breastmilk feedings with formula and there is really no point in that. Breastmilk is much better for your baby than formula, water, and juice.

You are doing a great job. Follow your mommy instincts, they'll rarely lead you wrong.

I agree with this poster. I just wanted to add that they recently released a study (don't know the source, I have to get better about remembering my sources) that babies who were given juice regularly before one year were more likely to choose soda as teenagers when offered a choice. They found that babies who only drank water and milk (didn't specify bm) chose water as teenagers. They had a soda machine and a machine that offered water bottles. The teenagers in group 1 chose the soda, and the teenagers in group 2 chose the water. I found that interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy's Mommy View Post
    Just want to point out that once solids are introduced, you've technically started the weaning process, but it definately doesn't mean you have to stop nursing
    True! So when you get comments about starting to wean, you can say you have!!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.