Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis

Smile Mastitis

Hello
    When my baby was 8 weeks, I got a bad breast infection and had to go to the hospital for an IV of antibiotics overnight. Last January when he was 6 months, I got a plugged duct and an infection. Since then I have been having a really bad crack on my left breast, so painful that I can barely brestfeed on this side. Last Thursday I woke with 105 fever!!! ended in the hospital for 4 days with a breast infection again....it was so hard not to see my little guy for 4 days, very depressing for me and I am so tired as well

I have several questions for you:
    1. how can I get rid of this crack that is killing me?
    2. did I have a yeast infectin in fact on the left side where I had the crack?
    3. my mom and my husband would like me to stop breastfeeding, but I don't think that I am ready to stop...what can I say to them?
    4. why I am getting so many infections? am I doing something wrong?
    5. I am taking Dicloxicilin, it is killing my stomac so bad...I tried zantac but ended vomiting...I tried ginger ale (it is working a little bit) but my stomac is so painful, any advice? I need to continue this antibiotic.

Thank you so much in advance for your help and support.
    Celine (Pierre, 9 months )

Default Re: Mastitis

Oh sweetie, you've been to hell and back. I give you all the credit in the world for sticking with breastfeeding. You have on very lucky baby!

Have you contacted a lactation consultant? Sounds like you might really need a visit from one. In the mean time, this is my two cents ...

Cracked nipple --- make sure the latch is correct. Apply generous amounts of lanisol between feedings. I don't know if you have a yeast infection, you'd really have to see a doctor about that.

Family members --- tell them you are just not ready yet. And when the times comes that you are ready, you will stop. There are really very few problems that can not be over come.

Suggestions for avoiding plugged ducts --- try wearing a sleep bra instead of a regular nursing bra during the day. Its still supportive, but with more room to breathe. Also, if you have a clogged duct, make sure you nurse on that breast first and try laying baby flat on a bed and hover her using gravity to empty the breast. Always offer both breasts at each feeding.

I was very prone to plugged ducts until I changed my bra. Got 2 infections with my first child. Got many clogs with my 2nd baby but was and still am able to avoid infection.

Good luck to you and I really think you should see a lactation consulatant.

Default Re: Mastitis

Thank you so much for your support.
    I have seen a lactation consultant this week. She was very nice and suggested pumping once at night to make sure I empty the side that has the crack.
    She also told me about the <triple nipple cream> but I can't find the receipe to have it compound.
    Thank you so much for your help, it means a lot to me :-)
    Celine