Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! My Milk came in!

Default Help! My Milk came in!

My 4 day old screams bloody murder the last 3 feedings. He was doing really well until my milk came in and now he snorts and screams and screams when I try to feed him. He is trying to latch on and he will for a second then scwirm and let go. Its like my nipples are too slippery. It takes me an hour and a half to finally get him on and then he ate for 10 minutes. I am afraid to feed him because he gets so mad...like a little hornet. I have big breasts already...now they are huge! Like each one is as big as him. What can I do?? Is this normal for him to get so mad? He was doing so good before. I know he is only 4 days old, but I am so sad and don't know what to do...He is sleeping but will be awake and hungry soon.

Default Re: Help! My Milk came in!

welcome to the formum! And Welcome to the new baby!

try this it will help...
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html
    down twards the bottom it talks about reverce pressure softening. I wish that I would have known about it when I had my dd..

if you keep having problems get some help right away.. either call your local lll leader or lc..
    totaly normal! in a few days your milk will adjust and the baby will have an easier time nursing, just keep at it and try and stay away from any bottles.

Sounds like you might have a forceful let-down and he gets a bit too much milk at once to deal with. There's a great article on kellymom that gives tips to deal with this:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

And here's another article that describes other issues that result in similar baby behaviour and how to deal with it:
    My baby fusses or cries during nursing - what's the problem?

I hope this helps! Let us know how it goes!

Hi Kristin, and congrats on that new baby boy! Welcome to the world Wyatt James!

It sounds to me like you've got a pretty good case of engorgement. This can happen when your milk first comes in -- and if you had IV fluids during his birth, that make it worse. When the breast tissues swell up with excess fluid, the nipple and areola can get kind of flattened and tough, so that baby suddenly feels like he's trying to latch onto a bowling ball.

It's wonderful that you guys were doing well with the nursing before this happened. That's a great start, and you just need to get through a few days of this engorgement (hopefully less) and then you'll find it easier again.

I'll paste in a couple links on dealing with engorgement. Pay particular attention to the one that explains a technique called Reverse Pressure Softening -- this is a simple trick to get that nipple/areolar region softer and stretchier right before you nurse.

Keep nursing frequently, even if it is a struggle to get him latched each time. You need to move milk out of each breast frequently, and he needs the nutrition. He should be nursing 8-12 times in every 24-hour period -- which means every 2-3 hours from the start of one feeding to the start of the next. It's going to be hard work for a little while until this initial engorgement passes, but then it will get easier!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...gorgement.html (Not a LLL resource, but a very reliable and useful website.)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html (This explains how to do Reverse Pressure Softening)

--Rebecca

Get some cabbage leaves and put them into your bra fro about 10-15 minutes at a time. That will help with engorgement. Just don't leave them in all the time, cabbage can dry up your milk. Also, hot showers can help reduce the amount of milk in your breast. The heat will make your breast leak and that might let your ds latch on better. If there isn't a local LLL, then call the local WIC Clinic and see if the breastfeeding peer can see you. Most are willing to help anyone. Just keep nursing and congrads on your new baby boy. Hang in there.

I have heard conflicting evidence with regards to hot showers and engorgement. While it will soften your breasts and help with letdown I have read that it can actually increase milk supply, which if you are engorged, is not what you want. I had severe engorgement that led to mastitis and I made the mistake of using a pump on too high of a setting and cracked/damaged my nipples. The LC suggested I use cold compresses after nursing and warm compresses right before. The reverse pressure softening worked really well right before nursing. Also, if you do have an overactive letdown, your baby would be sputtering and coming off the breast choking. If that's happening, it is very important to let baby finish one side before moving to the other. And if you have an overabundant supply and overactive letdown (like I had) you should check out the site posted above:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

What worked for me: pumping a small amount (to get past the initial really strong letdown) just before I nursed, then doing the reverse pressure cycling to soften the nipple. I fed on only one side per feeding, for about 20-30 minutes). Sometimes, if dd wasn't satisfied I would feed on both sides, but this happened only rarely. I used the cold compress after nursing for about 15 minutes and warm compress before nursing for about 5 minutes. I used cabbage for about a week. I will caution you though that if you aren't sure its a supply issue, you should be careful to make sure baby is nursing enough to obtain a good supply.

Good luck to you and my heart goes out. It is such a hard time, but well worth it, and it will get better, I assure you. We have been going strong for 7 months now!!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thank you so much for all the advice!! I printed the articles and they are helpful. The reverse pressure thing works good and I am going to get a pump so I can let a little out first. We are still struggling but had a good experience last night...he even nursed on both sides for quite a while on both. I do feel like he is trying to latch on to "bowling balls" or watermelons...I never thought my boobs could be this huge!!! We will keep trying and I am honestly thankful for the advice. He does not like the sitting football hold...I think he likes to be cuddled up to my tummy and feels sad sitting next to me...although I see it would be very easy for him to suck in this position oh well.

you'll get the hang of it and in a few days your milk will adjust.
    call your local leader if you need more help!
    don't be afraid to ask her.

Sounds like things are on the right track -- remember, as with so many breastfeeding and just plain parenting problems, "this too shall pass."

As for the football hold -- at this point, if you've got just ONE nursing position that works well and reliably, you're ahead of the game. The other positions will come in time, with practice and patience.

Great update! Keep up the good work!

--Rebecca