Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much do i feed HIM???

Default how much do i feed HIM???

my ds is 8 almost 9mths- we are doing puree single foods, i was wondering do i feed him 1 or 2 or 3 times daily and about how much per serving? the reason i ask is because our NEW ped said he should be eatting 3 times a day now and as much as he wants. i fed him 3 times yesterday but he ate 2 bowls of sweet potato's and 2 bowls of cerel for dinner.he would have kept going but i cut him off, for fear he would explode! that sounds like too much to me. i know most of him nutrients come from bm until after 1yr but am i feeding him too much? HELP!!!!!! he is 19 or 20 pounds now, so he is average size.

Default Re: how much do i feed HIM???

A serving of food is about the size of the child's fist....I would think more than 3 or 4 servings at a sitting would be too much, but children are usually the best guide as far as showing when they've had enough.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

so like 1-2 oz a serving? now he should be nursing before AND after meals? how about the 3 times a day? thanks for helpin' christy!

Are you nursing before meals?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Unhappy Re: how much do i feed HIM???

sometimes.... should i do it before, after or both?

I would say an ounce or so per serving. But he may want a serving of veggies, and a serving of fruit and of a grain...I don't know. Let him guide you. Do not stress about this. It is so much NOT about the quantity and as long as you continue to nurse on cue, I don't think the timing matters a whole lot. Don't let your doc complicate things. Go with the flow, as long as you are nursing on cue, it will essentially be before and/or after!

I know that DD#1 was not eating 3 full meals until after a year. I am currently feedng my 7 month old one veggie per day at no particular time, it just depends on if she is awake when the rest of us are eating. Sometimes she gets her veggie at lunch, sometimes dinner. Sometimes her sister steals it.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

thanks SOOOOOOOO much! i just don't want to screw this up

You're very welcome. You won't screw it up. But I do remember being totally paranoid when Kate went from purees (which I had frozen in one ounce portions) to solid food that I couldn't accurately measure (no I don't have a kitchen scale)....I came to this forum, freaking out, and was given the same advice that I'm giving you.

I love this place.

I would nurse beforehand if you are concerned he would be getting too much solids. Of course that is a major advantage of BLS, but I won't push you if that's not the direction you want to go. Also, read "My Child Won't Eat!" for more great info. I borrowed it from my LLL library.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.