Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr said no cheerios?

Question Dr said no cheerios?

I mentioned to the ped dd2 loves her cheerios. She is 7months old and 80% or more of the cheerios end up on the floor. The dr said no cheerios. What am I suppose to give her to munch on? Dr told me 4oz of food plus cereal a day until she is 9months old. Well, when the older kids eat she likes to eat with them. What finger foods can I give a 7months old? I never had this problem with the other kids. Ds was on a strict diet at her age and dd1 ate cheerios.

I asked my grandmother why no cheerios. She guessed because it is too processed.

Dr also told me to give her oatmeal or barley for cereal since she does not seem to care for rice. She loves rice cereal it is the iron. So, my grandmother told me to make her oatmeal myself. I did and she loved it. I took 1/2c of oatmeal and put it in my blender until it was dust. I cooked for 5min and let cool. At dinner I gave her 3tbls warmed up in the microwave and then mixed with bm to thin it out. I took a few bites it was gooood. I know it is not iron fortifed but I think she gets enough...KWIM.

Thanks for your help and tips.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: Dr said no cheerios?

My son always liked oatmeal better than any of the other cereals. There are oatmeals made for babies that are fortified if you wanted to buy them.

You should feel free to ask your doctor any questions that come up. If they tell you to do something there's nothing wrong with asking why. You can call him/her up right now and just say, "I was thinking about what you said and I was wondering the reason behind.." There's nothing wrong with that.

We decided to stay away from Cherrios because the number 3 or 5 ingredient is sugar. There are so many healthier options. Kashi makes a puffed cereal with only puffed whole grains, no sugar, no salt, no preservatives which my son just loves. Look in the cereal aisle and read the ingredient list. I'm sure you can find one with lower sugar.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

Unless there's a reason to be concerned about a low iron level - don't worry about that fortified stuff..

now - did your doc mention why no cheerios? I mean it's not like thats what you're sustaining her on
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

yeah sounds like one of thoose silly things they say

"you shouldn't let the baby self feed the cheerios"
    instead you should give 4oz of rice creal with formula added"

i forgot about the first five ingredient thing. Heck I was shocked when dh was upset I did not buy organic carrots. he wanted me to dice up carrots for dd2 but I said not they are not organic. Something about nitrates(sp) in carrots and corn I remember reading in my Super Baby food book (still packed). Anywho, I think I will call just to ask. I did not question her until last night. Like Number3 said I am not substaining her just giving them to her for a toy and if they land in her mouth and not the floor cool.

Thanks
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

oraganic would still have nitrates in them:
    Off to find some thing on line

And fwiw - The serving size is something like 3/4 c for children <4 yo and then theres like 1 g of sugar in each serving... and I doubt a babe eats that much - and I am thinking there's no added sugar ( but I could be wrong on that)

We used to give ds puffed rice... he liked that too - but here's a link of nice ideas for other finger foods
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I don't do cheerios (or baby cereals) because it is basically empty calories. Plus, I've read that there have been studies of extruded grains (which is what cereals are) that show they are actually toxic. Oh, and the fortification, refined grains thing too.

How about little bits of melon or boiled chicken (I boil mine for stock and it get very soft)?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

The nitrate risk is in both organic and non organic carrots. So going organic does not avoid that.

If you want her to eat something similar to Cheerios how about rice puffs or millet puffs or kamut puffs. You can buy organic and it is just the puffed grain.

The iron from fortified baby rice cereal is not as readily absorbed as the iron naturally found in foods. So even though it looks like it has LOTS of iron, she's not absorbing that much of it.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)