Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not nursing much during day

Question not nursing much during day

question about how often my LO is nursing. she is 5 1/2 months old, but is big for her age, weighs around 17 lbs already. she eats baby food 2 or 3 times a day. right around noon, then around supper time and sometimes will give her rice cereal towards bedtime. she only nurses really really well in the morning and right b4 bed and will nurse ok around like 3oclock. she will only nurse if she's really hungry and i'm not sure if i should be worried about dehidration during the early parts of day and afternoon cuz she'll eat the pureed baby food but she won't nurse for me. even if i skip the baby food she won't nurse, so i make sure to feed her that so she's getting enough to eat. however she nurses what seams like forever b4 she falls to sleep at night and still wakes up at least 2 to 3 times during the night to nurse a bit and then goes back to sleep. is it that she's still full from nursing all thru the night that she can go a while the early parts of the afternoon without having to. i'm a little frustrated cuz she'll act hungry but will only nurse a few minutes sometimes. i'm just not sure if she's getting enough of my milk and wonder if there's something i can do or if she is maybe getting enough n i think she's not cuz it's so big of a difference from when she was just strictly nursing....... need some advice i've been having a pretty hard time trying to figure this out.

Default Re: not nursing much during day

have you tried ebm in a bottle? or if your ok with her getting formual ? if she doent like the bottle try something like a sippy cup thats if you are with giving her one. thats just my opinion . if babies are thristy they will let you know. also talk to her ed. if you are worried and see what they say about it.

good luck!

Smile Re: not nursing much during day

IMO I wouldn't feed her solids quite as often. My son is almost 7 months and only eats once a day. Hopefully someone with a little more experiance will come along with some useful links.

Thanks for the opinions, and actually i have tried putting breastmilk in a bottle but she really won't take it she's very stubborn, every once in a while if i'm lucky. i've only been away from her 3 times since she was born. i've tried a sippy but she'd just rather chew on it so...... i'll see what i can do. and there are days i only feed her once with regular food and she still will barely nurse...so i'll just see how this all goes i guess. any more opinions would be really helpful thanks.

here's something a little more specific..........
    on a normal day

btwn 2:30 - 4:00am - nurses
    sleeps
    6:30am - nurses
    sleeps
    8:30 am - nurses
    sleeps
    11:00 am - nurses a few minutes
    12:30 pm - eats 2.5 oz. baby food - usually pureed fruit or rice cereal
    sometimes takes short nap
    2:30 pm - nurses (about 15 minutes tops)
    takes nap
    4:30 pm - nurses only a few minutes
    6:00 pm - eats 2.5 oz. baby food - usually pureed vegetable
    7:30 pm - will only nurse a few minutes
    9:30 pm - has some rice cereal
    11:00 pm - will nurse for at least 40 minutes then falls asleep

would like opinions on whether she's nursing enough or if i should skip the 6:00 meal or one of the other meals...thank you!!!!

In my opinion I would do solids no more than once a day... since she isn't even 6 months old yet. It seems your lo has several nursing sessions. Babies get to be really efficent around your lo's age. My 9 month old rarely nurses more than 3-5 min except before bed, middle of the night and early am. How is her diaper output?? It sounds like she is a healthy weight. Also at that age my lo was so distracted she wouldn't have the patience to do more than snack so I just keep offering every 1-2 hours. Just offer the boob alot and also I would switch sides.. she gets distraced and pulls off I switch to the other side just to keep her interested. GL
    also if she has several longer sessions.. before bed, in the middle of the night etc.. it sounds like she is fine.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Quote Originally Posted by excited2bemama View Post
    Babies get to be really efficent around your lo's age. My 9 month old rarely nurses more than 3-5 min except before bed, middle of the night and early am. .
    I'm glad to know my baby isn't the only one who nurses like this! i thought maybe it was just her.... Thank you for the input!!

My baby is doing the exact same thing, I just posted something on it too. Crazy! I feed her about that much also, not as much food but I feed her 3 times, so maybe I should cut down uh?
    Just solids now

Married to the love of my life since March 17th 2007

Adasah Paula Carmona born: September 6th 2007
    7lbs 2oz/19in long