Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens to babies in poor countries when mothers can't BF?

Question What happens to babies in poor countries when mothers can't BF?

Not sure where this question belongs exactly but:

In really poor countries, what happens to the babies when their mothers are starving and/or can't BF? I would think they would not have access to formula. Would the babies starve or do other women BF them?

I asked my husband who's a social studies teacher this same question. He said something to the effect of "it takes a village to raise a child." Does that mean other women would take over the BFing?

This is just a total RANDOM question. But I'm just curious....
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Default Re: What happens to babies in poor countries when mothers can't BF?

There are a lot of cultures where it is completely normal for a child to be breastfed by other women.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree but I think most of the time the baby would die if they didn't have an aunt or somebody close to take care of them.

On those tribal shows on the travel channel, the one tribe all the ladies nurse whatever kiddo comes up to them. So I guess it's a free for all. Whichever one you are closest to is yours for the taking! LOL
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

My husband's cousin is a OBGYN and she volunteers every summer for a month to provide medical care for people who otherwise could not afford it in Haitii. She talked about a mother who had thrush so bad that the baby couldn't get any milk. It was the worst case of thrush she had ever seen. The baby was dehydrated and was starving. She sent him to a hospital, but she doesn't know if the the baby made it. She didn't want to know, because it was really bad. My point is, these medical conditions do happen in poor countries that don't have access to formula or proper medical care. It's really sad to think about.

I've heard of the wet-nurse thing, as well as goats milk and sugar water, though I think the latter is somewhat less common (especially if there are no lactating goats to be had).
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

In some countries, if a mother cannot BF her baby, they give cow's milk instead and that's normal. They don't wait for the baby to turn one year before starting cow's milk. And surprisingly these countries have the least number of food allergies!!

Quote Originally Posted by dallasmom View Post
    In some countries, if a mother cannot BF her baby, they give cow's milk instead and that's normal. They don't wait for the baby to turn one year before starting cow's milk. And surprisingly these countries have the least number of food allergies!!
    Yes if there is access to cow's milk, they give it. My sister was raised with cow's milk from birth. I think the reason for the increase in food allergies in this country is all the chemicals/preservatives etc. in food that we eat which find their way into the growing fetus and upset its metabolism. That's my theory. Natural things don't cause unnatural responses such as food allergies at least not as many cases as we have in this country.

They don't fail. In underdeveloped countries where formula is not readily available even where there is malnutrition the success rate is like 99.9 percent. Only in cases of VERY SEVERE malnutrition do women not produce enough to nurse and usually if that are that undernourished they can't support a pregnancy. Honestly much more of it is mind set than people want to believe. If breastfeeding is all there is you feed your kid. Just like everyone did until about 50 years ago.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by dallasmom View Post
    And surprisingly these countries have the least number of food allergies!!

Exactly! When I started introducing new foods to my girls, and whenever anybody would tell me to introduce one food at a time, blah, blah, blah, I always told them that my girls were too poor to have allergies. Of course I was careful with foods, but I hated their condensending (sp?) attitudes.