Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Co-sleeping advice

Default Co-sleeping advice

Hi!!

I am a co-sleeping mommy and my little one (7 months) still feeds about 2 times a night, she doesnt wake she just feeds in her sleep. I was wondering when she will sleep right through?
    At the start I used to sleep through her feeding but now I seem to sleep alot lighter and stay awake when she is feeding.
    My mom and others tell me that she should be sleeping through by now.But as its my first I'm not sure.Plus i'm the only breastfeeding mom in my family so their experiences are different to mines I think.

Thanks

Default Re: Co-sleeping advice

Is the night-waking/nursing a problem for you? If it isn't, I wouldn't worry for one minute about what other people say your baby "should" or "shouldn't" be doing at this age. All babies are different, but I personally think that most babies will nurse at night if they have the opportunity to do so- just like I won't pass by a plate of free cookies without taking one! If it's any help, my daughter didn't sleep through the night until I night-weaned her at the age of 2, and I have friends whose 7 year old still wakes in the night and needs his daddy to come and sleep in the room with him!

If the night-waking/nursing is a problem, and you feel like it's affecting your sleep and/or your ability to be a good daytime mommy, then I recommend reading Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" for gentle strategies to get your baby to sleep longer and better at night.

My now 2 year olds nursed once in the middle of the night until she was about 10 months I think. My 6 month old is down to one middle of the night nursing and I suspect he'll hang onto that for a few more months like my daughter did. Nursing once in the middle of the night really never bothered me too much. My goal was to try to reduce nursing to just once in the middle of the night (usually around 3am or so) somewhere around 4-6 months old. But that's just my preference.

All babies are different and just like the above poster said, if it doesn't bother you then dont't worry about it. Don't feel like you need to fit into a mold. Just trust your instincts

Sarah

My LO didn't start giving us a really god stretch through the night until about 9 months or so. What helped us a lot was the 10 pm top off, which my 11 month old son still needs. Now, when there's nothing else going on, he can usually make it til 4 or 5 am ish. It also helped that since he was very small we would move him to the basinette or crib after the 10 pm topoff. I would get a couple of hours to stetch out in bed and he would get a little practice sleeping on his own. Whenever he woke up he would just come back in bed and finish off the night.

But, every baby's different. My friend's 3 year old still wakes up in the middle of the night.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

I still nurse DD through the night whenever she needs to (she is 20 months). I work during the day so I am hesitant to restrict her access at night. Sometimes she will only nurse once or twice during the night, but when sick, teething or otherwise disturbed, I lose count. I do pretty good as long as I get to bed at a decent hour (which is sometimes while I am nursing her to sleep). I think cosleeping has saved my sanity and our BFing relationship. I could never keep this up if I had to get out of bed.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.