Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7.5 months down, exclusive BF

Default 7.5 months down, exclusive BF

It seems such a short time ago that I was in the hospital, fretting because I was pestering the lactation consultants EVERY single time my baby needed to nurse. I was uncertain, I knew I was latching wrong, I cried all the time, I was so frustrated. But I hassled and hassled them till I felt maybe--just maybe--I might be able to go home and TRY to do this.

Here it is, 7 and a half months later, and we are still exclusively breastfeeding! I just love it. If anyone is on this site to get information, who isn't sure about what to do or what to try, I can't recommend bf highly enough!

I bottle-fed my firstborn through no choice of my own; he was premature and right away in the NICU before I could say anything, BOOP! a bottle was in his mouth. No lactation consultants came to see me, either, so it was at least 24 hours after his birth that I even began to pump. I did pump for as long as I could, and gave my little preemie breastmilk through a bottle, and he did all right until at last I switched to formula. Then he had horrible, screaming colic for a year and a half! It didn't matter if I used Soy or Regular; he just couldn't process the stuff. It was a horrible experience. Plus, I just don't think it's natural or comforting, when a baby wants soft, loving, experience and warm milk, to stick rubber in its mouth and hold it away from you like it's a stranger.

I didn't know all this back then. I have only been able to experience it with my secondborn. She's getting her teeth now and I know that weaning is going to occur within the next four months, but by now I am ready for that. I have deeply enjoyed the warmth, the skin-to-skin contact, the snuggling, the closeness, and the knowledge that I am giving her the best nutrition she can get. She, too, has a bit of colic and I've gone through greatly modifying what I eat, so it hasn't been all beds of roses, by any means. But I have really loved this experience, and want to encourage all new or uncertain breastfeeders to hang in there--it is SO worth it!

Default Re: 7.5 months down, exclusive BF

That's great for you! It is wonderful isn't it? I
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Thanks for sharing your story! It's great that you've had breastfeeding success with both your babies- and that your success was so complete the second time around.

I just wanted to mention that you don't have to wean in the next 4 months- although I can completely understand why you might be ready to! As someone nursing a 2 year-old with a nearly complete set of teeth, I can truthfully say that I have only been bit a couple of times and that the benefits of "extended" breastfeeding more than make up for the little nips. Whatever you decide, good luck, and congratulations on 7 months of EBF!!!

Congratulations! What a lucky baby!!

Horray for you! Thanks for sharing your experience for those moms-to-be and new moms browsing these posts who will be encouraged by you.

It must be a gratitude type day, because I too, have been BF for 7.5 months and just this a.m. sent an email to my mom and MIL to thank them for their support of my BF (neither BF'd their kids). I know that I have been VERY fortunate to have the support of my DH, my family, and friends who have never once questioned why I was BF, nor have they started asking when I plan to stop. I'm a lucky mama!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

And, I agree with the pp who said you don't have to wean in 4 months if you don't want to, many nurse beyond a year

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Good for you , and for encouraging other mamas. You should be proud!
    I agree with the pp. Don't feel like you have to wean once teeth come. There are ways to deal with biting if that happens. My guy only bit once. I am still nursing my 16 month old, and I never imagined I'd be nursing a toddler! It's such a beautiful thing!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Thank you so much everyone! It's wonderful to feel your support.

Those of you who've gone beyond 1 yr, would you mind sharing your stories with me? I'd love to hear them, whether you want to be brief or go into detail. Weaning, and continuing beyond 1 year, are both things I've been thinking about lately, but don't have experience with either.

All I can say is that I nursing a toddler. It is wonderful, and loving, and I never want it to end! They become silly, and playful. Nursing became his main comfort, and our way of bonding. It fixes all boo boos, and stops most tantrums. I can't think of anything negative, but that is just my opinion!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I never intended to nurse beyond 1 year- it seemed too weird and hippy-dippy. But once my daughter turned 1, I couldn't imagine why I would stop! My daughter was not interested in solids until she was about 15 months old. Because she was nursed, I knew she was getting plenty of nutrients despite the fact that she would not eat more than a couple of tablespoons of solid food per day. Another good thing about nursing is that my daughter almost never gets sick. Those momma antibodies don't stop working at 1 year! When she has gotten sick, I know she's getting some nutrition from nursing even when she will not touch solid food. Also, nursing is one of my most important mothering tools- when my daughter falls down and bumps her head or needs to get a shot at the doctor's office, nursing soothes her hurts almost immediately.

Nursing has gotten much easier as my daughter has grown. She wants it less frequently- 3-4 times per day, as opposed to the 8 times per day she wanted up to the age of 15 months. She is polite about it- she has only bitten me a couple of times, by accident, and now that she's two she asks for it by saying "Pupple, pweez!" which just melts my heart. She no longer wants to nurse in public, as she is now too busy running and playing and exploring the big world around her.

Mothering Magazine has a great article about extended nursing: http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...stfeeding.html
    Last edited by Momma1; March 14th, 2008 at 10:50 AM.