Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump & Dump??

Default Pump & Dump??

HI! I am curious about something...so just looking for any advice or knowledge you may have on the subject.

If I were to eat or drink something that does not agree with dd, how long before that drink or food is in the milk? If I wanted to "pump and dump" how long after drinking or eating would I need to do so?

Does anyone ever do this? Thanks for the info!

Default Re: Pump & Dump??

I don't know what you mean by doesn't agree with her...If you mean drink alcohol the rule of thumb is if you feel drunk or tipsy don't feed your baby. But as soon as you don't your fine. So there would be no need to "pump and dump". So if it's a beer or glass of wine. If you feed your baby you can usually get one in before baby needs to eat again. If it's a vodka drink or you are drinking...if you pumped ahead of time so baby can eat with out you as soon as you don't feel the alcohol you can feed but you will probably need to wait more than two hours. Be careful. What you get they get. I have been free of everything for so long ....I drank a pepsi the other night and could NOT go to sleep until about 2:30 am. DS went down at his reg time which was 11:00pm.....but the earliest he ever gets up is 9:30 and that's early!!! He woke up and SAT UP at 6am Took DH 45mins to calm him down to the point where I could nurse him back down.I t was clearly the caffine. Won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Hmmmm, DJ's Mom, what would baby do if you put Vodka in the Pepsi?

At a BF class that I took we were told that it took 1 drink, 1 hr to metabolize (serving size of that 1 drink is important though ) so you could have a drink after baby is down for the night and not have to worry about feeding him/her a few hrs later. Pumping and dumping doesn't work. You can't facilitate alcohol leaving your system by pumping. You just have to wait it out. Like the PP said, if you feel the effects of the alcohol don't feed baby.

As far as the food goes I try to avoid eating foods that appear to affect DS negatively, all together. The time it takes certain foods to not affect milk anymore differs. It would be too confusing to try to time it (and that's assuming DS is on a predictable feeding schedule, HA!)

HTH

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Yeah, guess I was primarily thinking about alcohol, but was ashamed to admit it. I don't mind not drinking most of the time, I'd hate to feel groggy anyway while taking care of my baby, but I was thinking for in the future. I am going to be a bridesmaid at a friend's wedding in Nov and I wanted to see if I would be able to have a drink or two, or toast with them, without hurting dd. So far, it hasn't been worth even the smallest possibility that it could harm dd so I have not had a drink since pre preggo days...not really wanting one lately anyway.

As for caffeine, here I really do have a problem. I have read that one drink a day of caffeine isn't too harmful...is this true? Should I be trying to really cut out caffeine altogether? UGH!!

If you have always drank caffine then your baby's system is probably used to it. I just haven't at all and it was a huge shock to both our systems.
    I was a total party girl before I got pregnant and was dreaming of the day I would party again. It was Bay to Breakers. I pumped, I planned, I nursed before I left the house at 615am.I was DRUNK by 9:30am
    I was so happy I planned it out! I forgot to drink water...I was groggy I had a headache and I wasn't prepared for how I felt when I saw my little one again. When I returned home...he didn't want to look at me. I didn't know if he sensed something or was just mad because I was gone so long (It had been 8hrs)but I ended up feeling embarrassed and left the house again until six and still didn't feel worthy to nurse him....took a nap and finally nursed him @ 9:30 It had been 15hrs I wasn't prepared for how important a part of our relationship it had become. I held him all day the next day and basically let him nurse every hour
    So just prepare yourself. I was so looking forward to it...but now I am pretty much on the straight and narrow until the self wean. I may have a drink like a Mermosa with brunch on Sunday for an occasion and I'm sure you'll have champagne at the wedding.....but drink a ton of water between drinks so you don't feel like crap! So you'll feel fine about nursing as soon as you see your baby. Cause you'll want to. But if you don't feel fine....you may hesitate. And that feeling sucks.

A useful guideline I heard somewhere is that if you are too drunk to drive, you are too drunk to nurse. But even then, you don't have to pump and dump. As your body metabolizes the alcohol, the milk already in your breast will also return to a "safe" level for your baby.

Of course, if you're going to be inebriated for several hours, you may need to pump to avoid engorgement and keep your supply up, and that "high-octane" EBM would have to be discarded.

Caffeine is something that may or may not affect your baby. That's a much more individual thing, and if you are happy with your baby's sleeping and temperament, then your caffeine intake is no problem.

--Rebecca