Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Here... One Year Old refusing milk

Default New Here... One Year Old refusing milk

I just recently started back to work.... before that, my son and I were home together all the time. I BF on demand. Since he just recently turned one, and I knew I would be returning to work, we started introducing some cow's milk. I am pumping at work once a day, getting about 10-11 oz.

My son is not taking any BM while at daycare.NOt in a bottle or a sippy. She also says he won't take any cow's milk. He will take some juice and water. When I get home in the evenings, and overnight, he wants to nurse all the time, and while I think some is to get fed, I also think it's a comfort thing.

I'm starting to worry some about him not getting enough nurishment. He is eating solids, but has never been a big eater.

Any suggestions? Do you think it's just the adjustment to me going to work and he going to daycare? I just want to make sure he is getting what he needs.

Thanks!

Default Re: New Here... One Year Old refusing milk

I am pretty sure that the two changes (going to daycare and you going back to work) have had a big bearing on his refusing the bottle. It would seem like he is reverse cycling at night to get close to you and have some mommy time. My son also refused the bottle for a while at year and wouldn't drink water or anything else - I was going out of my mind with worry, but it was only phase and gradually he went back to the bottle. My LO is also very small so I hear where you are coming from when you wonder if they are getting all the nutrients they need. All they can do is keep offering and maybe it's just a phase and he needs to settle down into his new routine. HOpe it gets better.

Mother to Zayne 19/8/06 2.56kg

Many mothers find that during the transition to a new situation (like daycare), children will often refuse things they previously did with no problem. Usually, within a couple of weeks, things slowly start to become "normal" again, although that "normal" may be different than it was before. Can you and your daycare provider give it a few days, letting him adjust to the new situation? Of course, keep offering drinks during this transition time, but give lots of love and understanding while your baby adjusts to this radical change in his life.

Also, many infants wean from the bottle around a year of age, maybe this would be a good time to just give up bottles altogether, and encourage drinking from a cup?
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I wrote a book and my computer crashed....
    heres a link from kelly moms about toddlers and cows milk
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need.

it sounds like your toddler is nursing lots more then the 3 to 4 times in a day

you could try breastmilk smothie with some frozen fruit.
    most kids gobble that up!
    good luck!
    dr sears has great info on his web site for feeding toddlers.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/