Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need beginner help

Question Need beginner help

Hi all... I am just beginning to make baby food for my DS. What are some guidelines?? Like taking skin off fruits and such, do I need to cook any fruit or veggie first?? What are some common veggies to do?? DS has had pears, peaches, prunes, plums, green beans, bananas, some grapes, carrots, squash, spinach... But most were from Gerber, organic of course. Others I have made. (Pears, plums, bananas and grapes) Can you use canned veggies?? Just need some tips. How long can it stay in the fridge?? Freezer? What things do you put them in when you freeze and refrigerate?? Thanks for any help

Default Re: Need beginner help

This site (http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/) is a great place to start! They have a ton of recipes as well as pointers on cooking, storing, freezing, etc. I used it a lot when I was making purees for DD.

A couple easy ones that don't need to be cooked are banana and avocado. They can just be mashed with a fork, maybe mix in a little BM or water, and fed. Bananas were a favorite around our house, because they're so easy. Since we never ate a whole avocado, I froze them in slices, then just thawed one and mashed it. I think it works better than freezing already mashed, not as much browning.

Other fruits and veggies pretty much all need to be cooked. I usually microwaved or steamed them. I wouldn't use canned because of the salt. Fresh or frozen are better. A blender or food processor works well to puree; just add water as needed. You can spoon the purees into ice cube trays and freeze. Once they're solid, pop them out and store in freezer bags. Then you can just thaw 2-3 cubes before mealtime. I've done pears, sweet potato, carrots, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, broccoli (not a favorite ), and chicken when she was older (I didn't want to think about which chicken parts were in the Gerber jars ). I'm sure you can do a lot more than that, but we used a combo of homemade and Earth's Best/Gerber to balance out the offerings. With summer coming, you'll have a lot more fruit options, too.

Hope that helps get you off to a good start. Sounds like you're exciting about cooking for your LO, I know I was! Good luck, and don't forget to keep trying even if he doesn't seem to like something at first. There were a lot of things my DD grew to like over time, and some she would never eat as purees, but eats as finger food now.