Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding and periods

Default Breastfeeding and periods

My period just came back - after 13 months of breastfeeding... and my milk supply has dropped by at least half...I'm kinda disappointed as I really want to continue breastfeeding for the next year. Any ideas what I can do?

Wink Re: Breastfeeding and periods

Hi! I'm no expert, my first son is now only 2 1/2 months old, but somehow, after nursing, I got my first pd. back at 6 weeks. I had to give him formula for about 2 weeks when he was first born because he was so large (12lbs 10 oz) and I didn't have enough supply, and he had a blood sugar problem. Anyway, I noticed a drop, and still, seems to have drops now and then, when he just wants to nurse what seems like all day. So far, after those innitial 2 weeks, I haven't had to suppliment. The magic of supply and demand has really worked out for us. I think it will for you too. What a blessing to go 13 months! Also, I've had a lot of irregular bleeding, probably due to hormones, and sometimes my boy seems irritated when he can't get enough, but he is doing fine, and gaining very well. Some of it could be growth spurts too, but anyway, we are fine, and we have not had to give up nursing yet. I hope maybe my story gives you hope that you will probably be fine!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and periods

Thank you Vickietoria,

I guess you're right - 13 months is a blessing. I will persevere and hope that the supply matches up demand. He's getting bigger and hungrier! Anyways, I do supplement the BF with 2 small meals of solids daily. It's just that he much prefers the milk!

Hi sweetypiemom,
    Yes, congratulations on your happy nursing relationship!
    Did this happen pretty recently, like within the past few days? This is what LLL's BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK says,
    "Due to the hormonal changes of menstruation, some mothers find that during this time in their cycle, their milk supply temporarily decreases slightly and their emotions run high." It goes on to say that some mothers "felt certain that 'milk is there, but it isn't coming out' and they often felt like giving up the effort..." Within a day or two these mothers reported the onset of their periods and then 2 to 3 days after onset, lactation again increased steadily.
    Keep us posted as to how it goes, OK?

Mary

I am breastfeeding my 9 month old twins and I got my first period when they were 6 months and with each period I felt a need to give them a bottle, with that first morning feeding, with getting my period. I just got my third period and no bottles this time so it may get easier over time.

I got my period shortly after my daughter's first birthday. I did notice a drop in my supply, but it was temporary. I then got pregnant when my daughter was 17 months old. While I have noticed a marked decrease in my supply, she is still happily nursing at 21 months now. So, don't despair!

Thank you all for your encouragement - which is much needed

It's been 2 days since my period came back - and the milk supply is still low - but I'll keep persevering! Will let you know how it goes.

My period came back 5 months post partem (I felt cheated) and I would always DREAD that week. Not only would my supply suffer for 3 or 4 days, but ds would always bite during the first 2 or 3 days. It is my understanding that hormones can affect not only your supply, but the taste of the milk as well. It started getting better when ds was about 10 months old. Don't know why.

Oh wow! This is so enlightening. I got my cycle back when DS was 4.5 months old, exclusively BF, and I never had thought about the decreased supply. He is now 13 months old.

One thing I have noticed is that breasts are very sensitive around the middle of my cycle, during ovulation. Haven't noticed decreased supply but wasn't really thinking about it!

Thanks for the post!

Yes, I've learned a lot too! And I've also noticed that the breasts do get more sensitive.