Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Calling all Homemade baby food makers

Default Calling all Homemade baby food makers

Anyone make their own babyfood? I do and freeze it in "snack size" zip lock bags. I make food every Sunday enough for the week. Never in the freezer longer then 7 days.
    I don't microwave to thaw; simply submerge the bags in warm water.

Anyone see an issue with this? I know there is some thoughts on using plastic to store food. I don't reuse bags, they are all single use.
    Just curious.
    My 8 month old is mostly breastfed but does get 2 meals a day of solids. Wanna make sure I'm doing everything I can to keep her safe and healthy the natural way.

Default Re: Calling all Homemade baby food makers

I freeze the purees in ice cube trays. Then I set them in a bowl inside of my steamer basket and they are thawed out in no time at all!

I think the issues with plastic do come up when they are heated, but I'm not sure at what temperature it would become harmful.

To be extra safe, just run it under a bit of warm water to loosen it up, then you could transfer it to your warming location.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I did it with my 1st child. I think its great because you know exactally what's in everything you make and how it's prep'd and frozen. The best part is no preservatives or dyes! I used little tupperware bowls with mine so I could reuse them but I'm sure baggies are fine

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    I freeze the purees in ice cube trays. Then I set them in a bowl inside of my steamer basket and they are thawed out in no time at all!

I think the issues with plastic do come up when they are heated, but I'm not sure at what temperature it would become harmful.

To be extra safe, just run it under a bit of warm water to loosen it up, then you could transfer it to your warming location.
    I do the ice cube tray thing also. The difference is that I pop the little cubes out into large ziplock bags. Then I just heat the cubes in a glass bowl when I am ready for them. This poster is right about the plastic. The concern is that when heated, the plastic releases a chemical into the food.
    So many things for us to worry about! It gets exhausting, doesn't it!?