Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help for feeding a 10 month old!

Default Help for feeding a 10 month old!

OK, ladies, I need some wisdom here. I am starving my kid! Here's the story -

M usually eats a banana around 10 then some yogurt and shredded cheese at 1. Then at dinner, he eats what we are eating, and then a big bowl of cereal before bed. I tried BLS but he was too hungry, and likes the food to be in his belly, not his tray! He is a big guy, 24 pounds.

So, he was sleepign for 12 hours for a few months. YAY! He did it when he was ready, it was NEVER pushed on him. For the past week, he has been getting up in the middle of the night. He will nurse, then lay awake in his crib. Most of the time he is just talking to himself, but sometimes he will fuss and whine a little. If I go pick him up, he screams and screams, so I know he is ok in the crib. Last night he was up at 12:30 and nursed back to sleep. He was up again by 1:30 just whining and moaning. I sent Dh in to see if he could get M back to sleep and it all just escalated. We were both in there off and on until 4am!! In sheer desperation I plunked M in his high chair and made up a bowl of oatmeal. He ate it all, then I rocked him for 3 minutes, no joke, and he was fast asleep. He is still sleeping!!

So, I think the poor kid needs more food. What should I feed him and when? Can anyone give me a typical day of food in their house? I am so confused.
    TIA!

Default Re: Help for feeding a 10 month old!

awe they all do that from time to time.

are you doing breakfast?

maybe some protien at bedtime instead of the cereal, it doesn't have alot of
    callories

I mix it with BM, and it was working fine. I think he is just ready for more. I was thinking of giving him the cereal/oatmeal for breakfast, since he loves it so much. He really does not want to eat until 10 or so, though. While T and I eat breakfast, M sits in his high chair and has some cheerios, but if I try to feed him something he refuses.

What kind of protein???????? I think that protein is where I am so confused!

My 10 month old eats 4 times a day. A banana in the morning, a 4oz. yobaby yogurt after she wakes up from her morning nap, a 4-6oz. veggie after her afternoon nap and cereal befor bed. I also BF 6-7 times a day. I also had this nightime waking problem when she was on 3 meals a day. I uped to 4 and the problem stopped. You could try making the meals larger or moving cereal up and adding another meal before bed. Try the cheese later in the evening it's high in protein.

Just to throw it out there, my lo gets too gassy if we give cereal at bedtime and wakes up crying with gas for a few hours at night. No more cereal at bedtime, no more gas for us. I also give prunes fairly regularly to keep things moving and she seems not to wake with all that crying. Just a possibility that it might not be hunger.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.