Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating all the time

Question Eating all the time

My son is 2 mo. and he wants to eat every hour. We have managed to go longer at night, with him sleeping at my side, for about 3 to 3.5 hours and then after that, he eats more frequently until the am. It is wearing me out and I can not find help in the many books I have. It just doesn't seem normal and I am anxious to set foot out of the house due to his desire to eat so often. Pumping has been out of the question because of his schedule. When I have pumped, I only get about 2 oz, which seems to satisfy him. Also, when I supplement, he only takes about 2 oz. . I kept thinking he would go longer after the 3 and 6 wk. growth spurts but he hasn't.

???

Default Re: Eating all the time

Fun isn't it? My dd nursed every hour in the beginning as well. The ped. told me it was perfectly normal cluster feeding. I felt like all we did was nurse, nurse, nurse. I think her belly finally got bigger and can hold more. She can go during the day now about 2 or 2 1/2 hours and only wakes once during the night (most of the time). She's almost 5 months old and just went thru another growth spurt of frequent feeding. Hang in there

The first 8 wks of my DS's life there wasn't a day that I didn't think about quitting nursing! I just could not believe how hard and time consuming it was! The 1st 6 wks he ate every 1 - 1.5 hrs around the clock. I was completely spent. Everything turned around about the time DS was 10 wks old. He started giving me larger breaks (3-4hrs). Now at 3.5 mos. DS is sleeping 7-8 hrs at night so has to make up for it during the day, eating every 2 hrs. But I don't mind that a bit!

Hang in there. It does get better. Believe me, I thought I'd never be on this side of the fence telling someone it gets better....

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Thank you for the support. I just needed to know I wasn't the only one and that it will get better. I really don't want to quit but it has been tempting!