Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to decrease supply

Default How to decrease supply

Hi all.
    I am a working mother who has to pump so my husband can bottle feed our daughter my expressed milk during the day. Also, I have a friend who just gave birth to sick child and with all the visits to the hospital her milk production has decreased so she asked me and a few other friends to help out. When she asked, I started pumping just a little more. Almost exactly after I started pumping that little tiny bit extra, I noticed that my breasts were becoming full and heavy much sooner than before. Also, my daughter started only feeding on one breast. Now, she also almost always spits up at least an ounce and maybe 1 1/2 ounces after she nurses off of the left breast (the breast that produces the most when I pump). She has even spit up excessively while she is nursing making a mess of both me and her! She is becoming more and more fussy (she was already a colicky baby) and I fear that our bonding time is falling apart because she spits up so much when she feeds off of that particular breast. I want to say that she is not upset when she spits up. She is usually very happy and even smiles after it is said and done.
    I think my (our) problem is over production and she is over eating. We go to the doctor for her 2 month check up tomorrow and I'll be sure to mention to her DR. But in the meantime, I'd like to hear your thoughts and/or advice.
    Should I try to decrease my milk supply? If so, how?

Default Re: How to decrease supply

Hi Tonya, and welcome!

The basic approach for reducing oversupply is to take less milk out of the breasts and less frequent stimulation of each breast. Are you still doing extra pumping, or are you back to your normal pumping schedule now?

Nursing one breast per feeding is actually the first recommended step in dealing with oversupply, so I think you're on the right track with that. If that doesn't do the trick, then you could try "block feeding" -- nursing on the same breast for 3 or 4 hours at a stretch, no matter how many times the baby nurses during that "block" of time. Then the next 3 or 4 hours, nurse only on the other breast.

What I'm not sure about is how or whether you should alter your pumping schedule while you are at work. I encourage you to visit the forums here on "Too Much Milk!" and "Working and Breastfeeding" -- you'll find a lot of moms who have dealt with these issues and can walk you through what worked for them.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to post again with any questions or concerns.

--Rebecca

Default Re: How to decrease supply

Hi Tonya!

I've heard cabbage leaves in the bra help to dry you up a bit. It has something to do with the enzymes in the leaves.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi