Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 Week Old Crying and Pulling Off

Question 7 Week Old Crying and Pulling Off

My 7 week old for the past three weeks has been consistently pulling off screaming during the day on both sides. This happens after he feeds well for anywhere from 2-8 minutes. I offer the other breast, and I have tried offering the bottle after this happens. He refuses anything other than his pacifier. He may just need non-nutritive sucking? He has also been having a lot of sleeping issues, only sleeping during the day if held (I have tried everything). I am thinking that perhaps he is too tired to properly feed during the day. This is a vicious cycle. Any advice?

He feeds well (feeds for 10-20 mins and falls asleep or pulls himself off if done) and sleeps great at night.

This started happening at 4 weeks old while being hospitalized for a fever work up. Otherwise he is healthy.

Default Re: 7 Week Old Crying and Pulling Off

I'm not sure what help I can offer, my 10 wk old just got out of the hosp. because of a nasty no energy to eat spiral. What helped him was that we sat down with a varity of bottle nipples and started evaluating which he did best with. Sometimes slow is too tiring for them and fast can make them gag. What's working right now is a slow that I added a hole to to make it essentially a medium. You might want to try a small experiment, and make sure he gets a couple of good bottle feeds a day to give him the energy he needs to nurse. He may just snap out of it.
    With the sleeping... have you tried elevating the head of his bed a few inches? My son sleeps better on an angle, not a severe one, but an angle nonetheless. I put a rolled up newspaper under the head of his bassinet. He also used to only sleep while being held, and when I'd swaddle him warmly and put him on a slope, he slept alone with no problems.

Good Luck!

I have almost the same problem!!! The past 10 days my 7 week old had been feeding very frequently but not regularly during the day. Yesterday night he pulled off the nipple after every 2 sucks and started crying. I put him on the other breast, he repeated the performance after nursing for a few minutes. I ended up spending half the feeding session burping him 'cos he swallowed so much air crying & gulping.
    I'm guessing my milk supply is a bit low by bedtime. He didn't sleep much yesterday afternoon and so didn't have the usual patience to suck and wait for the letdown. So when my breasts got a bit engored over the night (cos he slept very well after the noisy feed) I only pumped out a little. Hoping that keeping the breast more on the full side will help to improve the situation.

op... did your baby have anti-botics in the hospital? Thrush can cause pulling off and crying? http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun93p83.html

the signs are in that link.
    if you are giving bottles the baby might have figured out that the bottle is easier to use then the breast. Some babies have real trouble switching between the breast and the bottle.
    heres a good link too http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...problemsolving

Has he been showing any signs of reflux?

LLL's site says symptoms are:

"Difficulty swallowing, frequent burping or hiccuping, gagging or choking, frequent red or sore throats, poor sleep patterns, sudden or inconsolable crying, severe pain, arching during feeding, frequent spitting up or vomiting, vomiting hours after eating, food refusal or constant eating/drinking, slow weight gain, frequent ear infections, respiratory problems--wheezing, labored breathing, asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, and apnea.

Please note that overactive let-down (over-abundant milk supply or over-active milk ejection reflex) can sometimes be confused with reflux."

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you all for your help. I think he is getting frustrated or is simply done. I think he is an aggressive eater and I may be trying to feed him too frequently. Whenever he does this I offer a bottle and he refuses that too, but he takes his pacifier (I really do hate that thing, but unfortunately he loves it). Ugh.

Why don't they come with an instruction manual?

Unhappy Re: 7 Week Old Crying and Pulling Off

I am having a similar situation with my four week old. She eats very well at night and first thing in the morning (20 minutes with good burps), but the rest of the day she will eat for 5-7 minutes and then push me away crying hysterically. I try and try to get her burp thinking that she is feeling full b/c of gas... but usually no luck. When she does burp she most often still refuses when I try to offer her my breast again. So, we usually have to engage in an activity --changing diaper, bath, changing clothes, or on occasion just smiling at each other-- making the total break including burp attempt and activity 30-45 minutes. Then she eats again for another 5 minutes. This goes on the whole time she is awake which is anywhere from 2 to 5 hours.

Can anyone offer advice? Should I be trying to stretch the time between feedings so that she stops this snacking? Is this happening b/c she is going for too long during the night without eating (sleeping 4-5 1/2 hours)? I feel like I'll never be able to leave my house b/c the whole time she is awake I am just feeding and feeding... Logically I know this must end at some point, but would love some comfort from an experienced Mom...

Question Re: 7 Week Old Crying and Pulling Off

Hi, I am new here & it's so informative to read all of your stories.

I have a 3 week old son who has been nursing like a champ since moments after birth. His output is great and his weight gain is almost scary - almost 2 lbs in 3 weeks. (he was 9lbs 2 oz at birth) Last week he had a growth spurt, I think, and fed all day for a couple of days and then slept for a day or so. My milk supply increased accordingly and the babe fed great for a few days but in the last 3 days or so he has been feeding for 5 minutes at one breast. After 5 minutes he either falls asleep or starts pulling off the breast and trying to reposition himself, getting frustrated and beating at me with his little fists. When he's asleep he won't budge when I wave the breast in his face, though if I put him down in his bed, he will often wake and cue to eat more. And when he's pulling off the breast and wriggling, it's often a good 15 minutes of frustration for both of us until he latches on again and then falls asleep.

He's been a pretty efficient eater from the beginning - average feeds were 10-15 minutes. 5 minutes seems really short to me, though, and he's up every 2 hours with a couple of longer sleeps per 24 hour period.

Is it my letdown, which I think is pretty active? And how long does it take for the supply to regulate to the demand (I have far more milk than is required for 5 minutes on one breast every 2 hours)? I wouldn't mind the 5 minute feeds if it wasn't for the kicking & beating I get a few times a day