Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've been in tears all day because of this...

Default Re: I've been in tears all day because of this...

I didn't know they sold dental certification online...or maybe he bought it in a goodie bag!

Sure sounds like the most informed dentist in town...how do I sign up

I would agree with all pps...ignore everything he said and go to someone who actually trained to be a dentist

My son is 20 months old, still night-nurses and he has no dental problems. I just make sure that we brush his teeth or give him a sip of water after he gets solids which are the culprit for cavities not BM. My god what kind of dentists are out there

My THREE YEAR OLD, nurses a lot of the night. Nurses on demand during the day. Drinks milk, water, juice and on special occasions a little soda. We brush her teeth two times a day. After breakfast, before bed.
    She has NO CAVITIES, she has NO TOOTH PROBLEMS.
    My dentist said that breastmilk does NOT have the kinds of sugars that cause cavities.

I agree with previous posters. GET A NEW DENTIST

And give yourself a break mom! You are doing great!!!

(maybe he owns stock in Crystal Light??)

You know, I think dentists these days are really stressing sugar-free gum, sugar-free candy for kids, and obviously sugar-free beverages. Sorry, but I don't plan on feeding my kids artificial sweeteners! I understand that sugar can damage teeth, but we don't even really know yet what artificial sweeteners can do. I'm not saying they'll never eat sugar-free stuff and I do enjoy the occasional diet coke or splenda on my cereal, but I just think in general it's better to eat natural sugar and juices.

So, I'm with everyone else. I say, either just ignore the "advice" or find another dentist.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I can't believe that!Crystal light?
    Breastmilk is best. I would just keep bfing. In my own head the crystal light cavity connection seemed more likely than a breastfeeding cavity connection?kwim?

Crystal light? For a toddler? Oh wow. That advice alone is questionable, much less the advice to wean. He's not a nutritionist (obviously), he's a dentist. I wonder how qualified he really is to be able to tell you what your child should and should not eat.

More info:
    http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr.../cavities.html

Goodness me! Oh my word! A dentist telling you how to raise your child to just to have healthy milk teeth!!!! What about the rest of his body and his health else where? I have never heard such such rubbish in all my life!

You don't have to tell a dentist that you are BF, I never did! At far as I was concerned it wasn't his area and it was none of his business! Hello? These teeth are called "milk teeth" aren't they?

You need to print off some of the leafets on breastfeeding vs teeth and shove them up your dentist's backside fast!! (post them to him saying you are changing dentists, cos he's crap!)

P.S. I nurse through the night and some days I don't even bother brushing teeth (it hard)! Teeth are perfect!
    Last edited by Milkmaid; March 11th, 2008 at 04:03 PM.

Well, I discussed it with our pediatrician, who disagreed with everything except the night nursing. He agrees that Aidan should be sleeping through the night and is just using me as a pacifier. He did, however, tell me to continue nursing on demand as long as I desire.

However, after speaking with a LLL Leader and doing some research (Thanks for the links!), I've decided that I'm ignoring their advice about night weaning and am searching for a new dentist. DH agrees about a new dentist because the Crystal Lite thing really angered him. He's torn on the weaning. That's one of the reasons I was so upset over being told to wean him, because DH has been on the fence ever since DS got close to one year old. He's not so sure about "extended nursing" and is susceptible to outside influences in the matter.

I emailed the head of the local AP group and asked her (I used to be a member before my schedule started conflicting) if she would poll her members and get a few dentist recommendations for me. She should be emailing me back soon, and I'll go from there.

Thank you all for your help and support. I know that I'm doing what's best for DS, but sometimes I start to doubt myself when medical professionals say I'm wrong.

There is a sticky thread in the weaning forum about nursing and dental issues. Ignore this moron.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor-san View Post
    the snarky side of me really wants to post about all of the health benefits in crystal light

but i'll stick to the issue: get a new dentist.
    Please do or send me a pm. THX!