Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've been in tears all day because of this...

Default I've been in tears all day because of this...

Today, Aidan had his first appointment with the dentist. I was excited because dental hygiene is important and I wanted to make sure we got a good start. Now, I'm regretting it more than anything.

The dentist told me that I need to wean him down to three nursings per day - breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He also said that I need to stop any and all night nursing sessions. Then, he said that between meals all he should drink is water and Crystal Light.

First, I'm loathe to cut out any feedings until HE decides to cut them out. Also, I know that night feedings are very important to DS and I don't want to make him give them up. And finally, Crystal Light has artificial sweeteners in it. Those are not good for children.

So, why is this PEDIATRIC dentist insisting that I wean before my son is ready and that I give him things that are bad for him?

I don't want to wean him, but I also don't want him to have teeth that are in poor condition. I don't know what to do.

Default Re: I've been in tears all day because of this...

I know what I'd suggest you do if I knew you in "real" life.

I'd suggest to you, first and foremost to get a new dentist. Then I'd show you the Dental Health stickies (here) from the top of the "Weaning" forum, then I'd tell you to nurse as you felt your child needed.

Did he say he say a "problem" with his teeth??

Wow! Crystal light

Oh - and I'd print some of the above linked articles and give them to said dentist IF I ever returned
    Last edited by Number3; March 11th, 2008 at 11:47 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Please don't let that ass of a dentist opinions get to you! I mean, he wants your LO to drink Crystal Lite? That stuff is loaded with chemicals!

Here's my experience. I HAD to take my LO to a pediatric dentist when he was 1 because I noticed that his two front teeth were yellow no matter how much I brushed, so I knew there was a problem. Turns out those teeth developed without the protective enamel and his second layer is exposed. My dentist never mentioned anything about nursing until I brought it up. Then he told me to wean immediately because he felt it would only lead to decay. I was so UPSET that I left there crying! I did my own research and came here for support and I decided not to wean. We went back for his 3 month follow up last week and the dentist said he teeth look great and to keep up the good work (brushing after everything he eats and putting a tiny amount of fluoride treatment directly on the exposed areas) never once asking me if we weaned.

So don't let him force you into weaning, especially if you are not ready and there is nothing wrong with your LO's teeth!

I would like to know what credentials this dentist has to suggest such nonsense.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

the snarky side of me really wants to post about all of the health benefits in crystal light

but i'll stick to the issue: get a new dentist.

Quote Originally Posted by ak411 View Post
    I would like to know what credentials this dentist has to suggest such nonsense.
    Similar to the ones some pedis get...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

If your not already off reading this post then you must visit.
    It's the one #3 mentioned about Dentists/Weaning.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    Similar to the ones some pedis get...
    Sadly, I believe it!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Quote Originally Posted by PunkieGirl View Post
    The dentist told me that I need to wean him down to three nursings per day - breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkieGirl View Post
    He also said that I need to stop any and all night nursing sessions. Then, he said that between meals all he should drink is water and Crystal Light.

:
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Crystal Light?!?!?!?!?!!

Oh, dear.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?