Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: plugged duct I think....help asap!

Default plugged duct I think....help asap!

Hi all,

I think I may have a plugged duct. I've been bfing for the past 7 1/2 months and I woke up last night with a hard area in my breast. It extends from close to my body and goes to my nipple. It feels like a hard tube shape under my skin and it hurts. At the tip is like a little bubble....that looks like it fills with milk when I massage my breast. Is this a blocked duct?

I've been nursing my lo on that side more often...and I put a hot pack on that breast....and I've tried massaging it out in the shower. Any other suggestions? How long does it usually take for this to work itself out?

Thanks for any info
    Evelyn

Thumbs up Re: plugged duct I think....help asap!

Well, I found another post with a similar question after posting mine.....and found some info. I used a sterile needle and opened up the blister and then nursed the baby and it seems like the hard area in my breast has gone away.

How do I prevent this kind of blister from coming back.....it is painful...and I'm worried it may close over again.

Evelyn

Default Re: plugged duct I think....help asap!

I've only had one bleb in 2 years of nursing. Just keep an eye on it. Putting a hot washcloth on it right before nursing for a day or so might help if you're concerned about keeping it open.

Default Re: plugged duct I think....help asap!

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    How do I prevent this kind of blister from coming back.....it is painful...and I'm worried it may close over again.
    I always found that once I'd opened a milk blister, that was the end of that particular blister. To keep from getting another blister, just be vigilant with your baby's latch, and make sure you get a good one every single time. I got a lot of blisters, always when I'd allowed my daughter to persist with a less-than-optimal latch. HTH!