Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help w/latch

Default Re: Need help w/latch

Thanks for the info!! I don't eat much sugar anyway, although I just ate 1 Reese's Cup. I change my bra every dayand wash between each wearing. I'm way too big to go braless--My guess would be right around a 40 g now that my milk is in, so it's totally uncomfortable to go w/o. I think I'm going to head to the outlet mall this weekend to buy a few more nursing bras. Right now I only have the tank/sports bra types, and that's getting a bit old right now...I'm used to an underwire and need more support than I have right now. I haven't needed nursing pads yet, and I do dry my nipples before closing up my bra, and let them air dry until she's totally done feeding.

What is acidopholus/probiotics? or whatever it is you said to eat...I've never heard of that.

Thanks again for your advice!!

Krista

Acidophilus, is one of the strains of good bacteria that normally live in your gut. The reason that antibiotics can lead to thrush is that in addition to killing the bacteria that cause your infection, they also kill the good bacteria in yout system. This can allow for an overgrowth of yeast. In a healthy digestive system, the yeast and bacteria keep each other in balance, but the antibiotic treatment throws that balance off. Therefore, whenever you need to take antibiotics, its helpful to take probiotics (the healthy bacteria in a supplement form), to help get your system back in balance and prevent yeast infections. You can get these bacteria in yogurt, but it's my understanding that you'd need to eat pretty much yogurt to get the amount you'd get through a supplement. (Also, you'd want to eat only plain yogurt, not the sweetened kind.) You can buy probiotic supplements in the vitamin section of most drug stores, grocery stores, or health food stores. Some brands have only acidophilus (acidophilus bifidus I think is the full name), others I think may have additional strains of bacteria as well. The Breastfeeding Answer Book (LLL pub) lists the correct dosage as 40 million to one billion live units (the bottle will say how many live units in each capsule or tablet). The BAB also lists grapefruit seed extract (250 mg 3x per day) as to helpful in keeping digestive balance. I have heard of acidophilus for babies as well, but I have personally never used that and don't have much info on it. Hope this is helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by justin's mama
    Right now I only have the tank/sports bra types, and that's getting a bit old right now...I'm used to an underwire and need more support than I have right now. I haven't needed nursing pads yet, and I do dry my nipples before closing up my bra, and let them air dry until she's totally done feeding.

Krista
    Be careful with the underwire...can lead to clogged ducts and mastitis. I KNOW how you feel about underwire. I have one "go out" bra with wires. But I limit my time in it to for hours. And once it began to cause problems. I caught it in time (didn't get mastitis) but it is a real concern. Just a heads up.

i got 3 playtex bras yesterday--no wires though!! It's kind od nice to feel like I have some curves again!!!