Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help w/latch

Default Need help w/latch

Hey girls--It's me, Krista. Ada Grace and I are home and doing pretty well. The hospital stay wasn't too bad until the last night. She was born at 7 pounds 14 oz, was down to 7 pounds 2.5 oz on Saturday night, and Sunday night she had gone down to 7 pounds even. Once they weighed her and found this out, I got woken up by the nurse at 4:00 in the morning when they brought her back to me and she told me I had to supplement. I told her, even in my sleepy haze that I WOULD NOT give her a bottle. SHe said that the SNS system has to be done by an LC and there wasn't one there, I told her that was fine, or she could cup feed her...no bottles!! She came back w/the SNS and had put 2/3 oz in it. Ada Grace sucked it down and then quit eating all together! I was mortified, and never used it again. We went to the doctor yesterday to have her weight and billi-rubin levels checked and she was up to 7 pounds 4 oz--a gain of 4 oz in about 36 hours. THANK GOD!!! I didn't want to use that SNS system anymore.

On to my latch question....when she latches on, I get this horrible excruciating stabbing pain for like 3 or 4 seconds, then it goes away. Is this normal??? I don't remember feeling this w/DS, but he was never really good at latching on either.

Also--I've started to get that hard engorged feeling in my left breast. I stood in the shower a bit longer this morning, and just let the water run over me and it just ran...I'm feeling much better now. I go to my first LLL meeting tomorrow night, and I'm SO READY to get out of the house. DH thinks it is too early to take her out--what do y'all think?

Default Re: Need help w/latch

Good Morning Krista!
    Congratulations!!! On your new girl AND telling that nurse NO whe she said you HAD TO! What a difference it makes to have some support and firm resolve
    I think the latch sound totally normal. Not for everyone. But I had that "it hurts so bad I want to stomp my feet and swear but I can't startle my newborn" pain for actually longer than six weeks. But like you say it's gone fairly quickly and out put and weight gain were fine so I didn't worry. But I mentioned it to an LC everytime I saw one. And the 1st two were able to position him in such a way it didn't happen. Unfortunately I was never able to duplicate it when I got home. So I would definately go to the meeting tonight!
    Congratulations again!

I'd suggest having someone watch her latch when you go to the LLL meeting. Sometimes I think that pain when latching can be caused if the baby is not opening wide enough and is therefore "slurping" in the nipple. It is a good sign that the pain goes away after a few seconds--that probably means that she is getting a good latch its just the way she goes about it that might cause a problem. I think its fairly common for women to end up with some soreness with the initial latch in the early days (it can be hard for a tiny baby to open wide and for mom and baby to get it right every time ). It will be easier for someone to give you some tips, though, seeing it in person.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby!

Oh, and I wouldn't see any reason why baby shouldn't go out--a hospital likely has as many germs as an LLL meeting .

you can use lanolin for the nipple pain. That might help a little
    are they getting cracked or bleeding? Thats a sign that the baby isn't latching on well.
    You can try this to relive engorgment. I wish I would have know about it with my c-section baby.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html

going to the meeting will be wonderful for you! You can talk about her birth and meet some other moms. MAybe even meet some good friends.
    good luck!

Krista, it sounds like you're doing GREAT! Thank you for the update -- I was thinking of you today and wondering how it's going now that you're home.

WTG on advocating for your nursling in the hospital! I just love how the nurse said only the LC could give you an SNS, and then the same nurse came back with an SNS for you. Translation: "I don't want to be bothered, but I guess arguing with you is more bother than doing my job."

Like you, I had that very intense (toe-curling agony, to be truthful) pain with latch-on, but it faded in less than a minute. An LC in the hospital told me that a good latch will feel better in a minute or two, while a bad latch will never feel okay. My doula also gave me a very helpful guideline to help me judge whether a latch was painful or not -- she said that a good latch doesn't hurt any more than a firm tug on your earlobe does -- there's a tugging sensation, but no real pain.

I had that latch-on pain for several weeks, and it just gradually got better and finally went away altogether. I don't know what causes it, and it is true that my baby had a hard time opening wide and latching deeply at first, so he may well have been "slurping" his way onto the nipple as llowe mentioned above.

That kellymom.com link in andrea's post above (on Reverse Pressure Softening) is a godsend for new moms with engorged breasts. As your body works through all the IV fluids, the engorgement may get pretty bad for a while. Use the RPS technique in the link, nurse as frequently as you can, try ice packs or maybe a cold cabbage leaf in your bra cup if it gets bad (rinse the leaf really well first, then pat dry and crush lightly with your hand.)

About the LLL mtg tomorrow -- my concern is more for your stamina and strength than for the baby. You just had major abdominal surgery, so take it easy and don't try to push yourself beyond your limits. Surely you're not cleared to drive yet, right? If your husband can help you get there, that might be a good idea -- but because mothers might not be comfortable nursing in front of a man, he should not try to join the meeting -- just get you settled and then hang out nearby somewhere. About the baby -- just don't pass her around or let the toddlers hover over her -- if you can wear her close to your body, that's a great way of protecting her from germs in public.

--Rebecca

Thanks girls, for all of your responses. I am doing really well, and haven't done much of anything at all. I am going to go to the LLL meeting tonight--but my mom is going to take me. I have not been cleared to drive yet, and DH has absolutely no interest in going to one of these meetings.

Ada Grace is doing incredibly well--but now my incision is seeping. I had to make another trip to my OB today, only to find out that I have a blood clot below the skin, and that it is causing seepage. He said that the use of dermabond delays the drainage because it is a skin-tight barrier, so the seepage can't happen until there is a small crack in the dermabond. He said it's not swollen or red and doesn't appear to be infected, but has put me on Keflex to prevent infection for the next 10 days. I know this puts us at risk for thrush--what can I do, if anything, to prevent that???

Thanks again
    Krista and Ada Grace

Just to update everyone on Ada Grace's progress--we went back to the doc today for another weight check/jaundice check. Well--to my complete amazement there is no question at all that my milk is in and she is thriving. On Monday morning, at about 2:30 when the nurse took her to weigh her, she was down to 7 pounds even, a loss of 14 oz--which is when I was forced to supplement with formula and an SNS system. When we went to the doc at 1:30 on Tuesday, she was up to 7 pounds 4 oz--today, at 1:30 in the afternoon--7 pounds 10 oz--that is 10 oz gained in 4 1/2 days.

Just thought I'd update everyone!!!

Sound's like you are doing great. It's so cool to get news and updates on new babies. Keep up the good work, I am impressed with how well things are going for you and your resolve to have a great BF relationship. Keep us posted and many congratulations to the new addition to your family.

It's great to hear that breastfeeding is going well and baby is thriving!!! This may be duplicate information from the article posted above, but some good things for helping to avoid thrush include taking probiotics (acidophilus), cutting sugar (including lactose) out of your diet for awhile, allowing nipples to air dry after feedings, changing nursing pads often if you use them, and wearing clean bras or going braless. I believe that eating garlic is also thought to be helpful.