Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do 8-9 month old babies need more milk?

Default Do 8-9 month old babies need more milk?

In the past week or so, my 8.5 month old son suddenly started need to nurse off both sides, especially before bed and sometimes through the night. He has always been a one boob per session kind of guy.

I work, so he gets some expressed BM through the day (although he still does most of his eating in the evening and through the night).

I was just curious if and when babies strted to require more BM.

OR...could this mean my supply is diminishing? Like he can't get the usual amount from one breast so he goes to the other to "top off"? I pump at work and haven't noticed a decrease...

TIA!

Default Re: Do 8-9 month old babies need more milk?

I think my lo was around 7 months when he started taking both sides . . . not sure, but I wouldn't stress about your supply as long as the output is ok. My guess is for us it was a combination of needing more milk than he was getting from one side and the increase in his disctractibility so I had to switch sides to keep him interested not sure how to answer, but that was our experience.

My DD is 8.5 mo. right now and is doing the same thing. I had some oversupply issues in the beginning, so we were doing the one side only thing. Now I usually offer both. I pump as well and haven't noticed a decrease overall. I have always found comfort when I see that other moms with LO's the same age as mine are having similar problems. Our LO's are only a couple of days apart.! HTH.

I bet baby is just growing..
    are you doing any solids?

there is a growth spurt at around 9 months which could explain the increased nursing. are you giving solids or still ebf?

He does get some solids, but he's so-so on them. Some days he eats (solids) really good and other days he could care less about them. I actually think he will do much better once he can eat finger/table foods.

I am not pushing him...although my DH just called (he's a SAHD) and said we HAVE to make sure we try to feed him solids every day. I tend to be lax about it on the weekends.

I think that introducing at least one regular meal of solids daily would be fine...if that is your plan. If he wants it he will take it...if not...well you gave him the choice. I didn't really bother with baby rice etc..I just offered finger foods or normal table foods well mashed. Have you looked at baby led solids...there are lots of posts about it on this site. Just type it into the search bar

Here is a link explaining it

http://www.tribalbaby.org/babyLedEating.html

mr. baby is just past 9 months now and he's eating more than ever. not only is he loving his solids (well, ok, green beans are not his favorite) but he's nursing more than he has in a long time, so i think you're right, they eat more around this time. he's sleeping more too which means he's growing. he's turning into such a LITTLE BOY all of a sudden, crawling, cruising, being very purposeful, playing alone.... i'm kinda glad he's nursing a little more (used to only boob when he woke from a nap, now he wants boob as he's going down for his naps too!) because it gives me more time to connect with him. when he's not on the boob, (most of the time) he'd rather be playing! good job momma, just keep giving him what he needs.