Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping thru the night..

Question Sleeping thru the night..

My LO just turned 5 mo and is still waking up 2-3 times a night. I don't think every time he wakes up he's actually hungry, but I offer the breast and he'll eat, thus falling back asleep. When does a BF baby usually start sleeping through the night? Should mine be sleeping through the night already?

I know that sometimes he'll wake up and start playing so we'll rock him back to sleep and for the first time last night, he fell back asleep on his own.

I've read so much about baby's learning to fall asleep on their own, etc. I don't really like the CIO method. At the same time, I don't want to hinder him by nursing him back to sleep, rocking, etc. At what age should I stop doing these things? Now?

Is his wakefulness just part of his age and the new curiosity he has?
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

Default Re: Sleeping thru the night..

I wish I had the answer..my son is 8.5 months and still wakes every 1.5 to 2 hours....and many nights he's up in the middle of the night playing for 1 to 1.5 hours.

I think there are a lot of things we are told "should" be (like sleeping through the night)...but the bottom line is, every baby is different and has different needs. So I've stopped listening to all of it and I follow my heart and "mommy-sense". I too don't like CIO...I even tried it, for 2 weeks with no improvement, so I really hate it now.

A lot of people support the CIO method and that's fine, but I just can't stand to see my baby cry when I'm right there and can help him and comfort him. I guess I feel like he should be sleeping through the night b/c I have 2 friends who had babies around the same time as me and their's are already sleeping through the night. I know it's wrong of me to compare.....

My body has actually gotten used to waking up. I find that I'll wake up first and just lay there and within minutes my LO is awake.

Also, we still have his crib in our room...is it time to move him to his room?
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

It's true that every baby is different so it's really hard to say. With my kids, around 4 months or so I would try to extend their middle of the night feedings until they were down to just once.

What I do is nurse them one more time when I go to bed around 10pm. My "goal" is to not have to nurse again until around 4 am (give or take an hour), and then not again until they get up (3-4 hours later).

It takes a bit of time and effort, but it really is worth it. I try to walk with them or rock them to get them back to sleep and if it seems they are inconsolible, then I'll nurse, but at least I extended it another half hour that way. Eventually, we get there. Usually, I have found with mine anyway, that when they wake they are really not "awake" and are just used to nursing back to sleep. Although there's certainly nothing wrong with this, for me, I just can't function if I don't get some sleep and I'm not the type to just sleep with the baby on my breast and let them nurse on and off throught the whole night.

I do hope you find something that works for you.

Sarah

I understand how you feel. My LO is 8 months and has never slept throught the night. Last week we were waking up 4-6 times a night and they only thing to calm her down was to nurse. I believe that our problem was a mixture of teething and possible growing sput. This week she has waken up twice each night before it is time to get up. I usually get her to bed between 9:30 & 10 (which I know is late - she never wants to go to bed) and then I get to bed about 11. I am up at 5:00 to start my day so I know how tiring it can be. I have a few friends that are always telling me she should be sleeping through the night and that she should be in her own bed in her own room, but her room is on a different floor then ours. I just go with my instints and what I feel comfort with. Good luck!
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

If your baby waking 2-3 times a night and you nursing him back to sleep is working for your family, there's no reason to change anything. DS is 2 now and still wakes a couple of times during the night (much less than when he was younger) and I'm working on gradually nightweaning by having him take a drink of water first then limiting his nursing. As your baby grows and changes and gets teeth and gets sick, you will probably find that there are reasons for night waking for at least 18 months, so if nursing works for both of you to get more sleep, keep it up. At some point, he won't need it for nourishment or comfort. (Certainly by the time he's 15.)

My little guy is around the same age and has gone through periods of night waking (2hr stretches) as well as periods of sleeping through (6+hr stretches).

Lately, I've been doing my best to make sure that he eats every 2hrs during the day and every hour in the evening. He fusses/refuses if he doesn't feel like eating again yet, but other than that, it seems to be working, and he actually slept 10pm-7am last night! Of course my husband and I were up multiple times checking on him in disbelief, and I laid awake from 6am-7am listening to him breathe.

A lot of people define "sleeping through the night" for a baby as one stretch of 5-6 hours per night, not the 8 hours an adult will sleep (if allowed). While many babies start sleeping through the night at 4-5 months old, I think just as many do not. My daughter didn't give me an uninterrupted night's sleep until I finally night-weaned her at 2 years old, and until she was 10.5 months old, she was up 5-8 times per night. We have friends whose 7 year-old still wakes up once per night and wants his daddy to come in and sleep in the room with him.

I am sure this all sounds very discouraging to a sleep-deprived momma, but there are some things you can do to encourage longer sleep stretches without resorting to CIO. Check out Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" if you don't have it already- it's full of gentle ways to help your baby sleep better and longer. It's the book I wish I'd had when DD was waking 8 times a night and I was so tired I couldn't see straight.

Hang in there!