Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Solids at 5 mos?

Default Re: Starting Solids at 5 mos?

Quote Originally Posted by Differjean View Post
    been very interested in what 'Mommy and Daddy' are eating. She grabs at my cup when I drink, she seems to be hitting milestones rather quickly (so I'm told)...ie rolling, pushing up, sitting up with a little support, stands with support...etc.
    Those aren't necessarily signs of being ready, so much as they are signs of working towards being ready. Here's some info:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

I guess I'm just trying to justify starting and make sure I'm starting because she's ready and not because of the pressure from everyone telling me she's ready.
    That pressure seems to be everywhere, doesn't it?

Her Pedi already gave the green light. At 4 mos 1 week he said not to rush her, but in the next few weeks go ahead and slowly start her on solids. I'm not planning on it replacing milk, but more practicing than anything.
    Solids are mostly for practice at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    I feel like we get really mixed messages these days. It seems like all the recommendations are to wait 'till 6months, but family and doctors even say you can start between 4-6 months.
    The AAP recommends about the middle of the first year. They do leave room for babies to start as early as four months and as late as eight months. The main recommendation is about 6 months (but, I understand that most pedis haven't got the memo yet ).

Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection.30,34,128,178–184 Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child.185
    *Complementary foods rich in iron should be introduced gradually beginning around 6 months of age.186–187 Preterm and low birth weight infants and infants with hematologic disorders or infants who had inadequate iron stores at birth generally require iron supplementation before 6 months of age.148,188–192 Iron may be administered while continuing exclusive breastfeeding.

*Unique needs or feeding behaviors of individual infants may indicate a need for introduction of complementary foods as early as 4 months of age, whereas other infants may not be ready to accept other foods until approximately 8 months of age.193

*Introduction of complementary feedings before 6 months of age generally does not increase total caloric intake or rate of growth and only substitutes foods that lack the protective components of human milk.194
    http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;115/2/496
    The American Academy of Family Physicians' policy on breastfeeding:

Breastfeeding is the physiological norm for both mothers and their children. Breastmilk offers medical and psychological benefits not available from human milk substitutes. The AAFP recommends that all babies, with rare exceptions, be breastfed and/or receive expressed human milk exclusively for the first six months of life. Breastfeeding should continue with the addition of complementary foods throughout the second half of the first year. Breastfeeding beyond the first year offers considerable benefits to both mother and child, and should continue as long as mutually desired. Family physicians should have the knowledge to promote, protect, and support breastfeeding. (1989) (2007)
    http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/p...ingpolicy.html
    From the World Health Organization:

Breastfeeding is an unequalled way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of infants; it is also an integral part of the reproductive process with important implications for the health of mothers. As a global public health recommendation, infants should be exclusively breastfed(1) for the first six months of life to achieve optimal growth, development and health(2). Thereafter, to meet their evolving nutritional requirements, infants should receive nutritionally adequate and safe complementary foods while breastfeeding continues for up to two years of age or beyond. Exclusive breastfeeding from birth is possible except for a few medical conditions, and unrestricted exclusive breastfeeding results in ample milk production.
    http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/.../en/index.html

Default Re: Starting Solids at 5 mos?

Thanks for all your advice! I did give her a tiny bit of rice cereal (mostly Breastmilk) to see if she had the tongue thrust "thing" and she didn't. She ate it, but she really didn't like the taste. I gave her some breastmilk on a spoon and she kind of seemed confused.

I'll probably wait a week or two before trying again.

I have a cup I use to rinse her hair when she bathes and she kept taking it and trying to drink the water from it. Everytime I took it she got mad so I got a clean cup and put breastmilk in it and gave it to her. She drank it, but was confused again because it was cold.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.