Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Solids at 5 mos?

Default Starting Solids at 5 mos?

I'm thinking of starting my DD on Solids. She is 5mos 1 week. I've been planning on waiting until 6months, but I'm thinking of starting this week. She's been very interested in what 'Mommy and Daddy' are eating. She grabs at my cup when I drink, she seems to be hitting milestones rather quickly (so I'm told)...ie rolling, pushing up, sitting up with a little support, stands with support...etc.

I guess I'm just trying to justify starting and make sure I'm starting because she's ready and not because of the pressure from everyone telling me she's ready.

If I do start, I'm planning on starting with rice cereal and waiting a couple days before giving her more to check for allergies. I have no allergies, but DH was allergic to milk and avocados when he was little. He's fine with everything now.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

Default Re: Starting Solids at 5 mos?

We started our dd on rice cereal at 4 months. She did really well with it! (I mixed w/ breast milk) She seems to really like the Gerber rice cereal with apples A LOT!! She is now 6 months and we had started introducing other stage 1 foods since 5.5 months. She really does not like the veggies, as they are not sweet. (assuming only because she is EBF, and likes the sweetness of the fruit!) She had her appt w/ pedi yesterday, and she said that it was fine to do stage 2 foods at 6 months.

But, this is just what we are doing. I ran everything past her pedi first before starting everything, which made me feel much better about it all. I really don't push her to eat anything she dosent like, as I am really not in that big of a hurry to see her switch to food from breast!! (Considering she still needs breastmilk for her primary source of nutrition!) So, don't rush! They eat when they are ready!
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

My LO is exactly the same age as yours and we have been doing a small amount of soilds for 2 weeks now. We did organic rice cereal and then banana which I mashed myself and thinned with a little breast milk. He's been great! He opens him mouth and attempts to feed himself. He gets 90% all over, but b/c he gets all he needs from BM I'm cool with this experiments. He's just learning. I am a firm believer that watch your baby not the calendar can go both ways, younger and older (within reason) so our LOs can start a few weeks early if we think they are ready.

That's just my 2 cents.

I got great advice from the mamas on this forum btw.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by Mama2theBooBoo View Post
    But, this is just what we are doing. I ran everything past her pedi first before starting everything, which made me feel much better about it all. I really don't push her to eat anything she dosent like, as I am really not in that big of a hurry to see her switch to food from breast!! (Considering she still needs breastmilk for her primary source of nutrition!) So, don't rush! They eat when they are ready!
    Her Pedi already gave the green light. At 4 mos 1 week he said not to rush her, but in the next few weeks go ahead and slowly start her on solids. I'm not planning on it replacing milk, but more practicing than anything.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna562 View Post
    My LO is exactly the same age as yours ...
    Yay for for the same birthday!
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)

Quote Originally Posted by Differjean View Post
    more practicing than anything.

Us too! It's funny that she ends up wearing (or our poor wall gets re-decorated) more than she eats!
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

I had to start rice cereal at 5.5 months because my son was having BF problems and refusing the BM from a cup, bottle, spoon, SNS, finger-feeder etc. and the only way he would take the BM was if mixed with the cereal. I deeply regret that I had to do that although I couldn't find any other solution to the problems at the time. I've read that once a baby gets anything other then BM, his/her intestinal flora changes which prevents the full use of all the good antibodies in BM. Also my son ended up having low blood iron around 9 months because of all the cereal he had eaten. Although the cereals are iron-fortified and supposed to have the exact opposite effect, they in fact prevent the iron in BM from being absorbed and the artificial iron in cereal is very poorly absorbed by the body (like only 4% as opposed to 50-70% of iron in BM). Of course the decision is yours but I just wanted to share my experience and regrets. If I ever have another baby and able to BF without problems I plan to wait until 6-7 months and then give only finger foods and none of the fortified spoon-fed stuff.

I feel like we get really mixed messages these days. It seems like all the recommendations are to wait 'till 6months, but family and doctors even say you can start between 4-6 months... I felt really confused, but everything I've read said that if they aren't ready, they won't eat it. Pretty plain and simple. So, since 5 months I've offered her food about once a week and so far each time she gags, spits it out, and pretty much looks really grossed out She was also and still does show all the signs of readiness, sometimes it seems like if we'd let her she'd eat the food right off our plate, but so far when it comes down to it, she really isn't ready yet. Now, I'm a little worried that she'll never eat! So, anyway, my point is, if you want to test and see if your daughter will eat, that's not a bad idea. I just wouldn't stress or force it

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

This link has lots of good info. on why it's important to hold off until 6 mos.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    I feel like we get really mixed messages these days. It seems like all the recommendations are to wait 'till 6months, but family and doctors even say you can start between 4-6 months...
    To me this indicates that doctors do not always make an effort to know the latest information. I personally believe strongly that the doctor does not always know best, nor do our well-meaning friends and family.

She was also and still does show all the signs of readiness, sometimes it seems like if we'd let her she'd eat the food right off our plate, but so far when it comes down to it, she really isn't ready yet.
    I observe that a lot of times we interpret normal infant curiosity as hunger or desire to eat our food, when in fact it is just curiosity. My son also has been displaying the so called "signs of readiness" for a few months, but even after more than a month of being offered solids he is barely interested.

Personally while I agree that one must watch the baby, not the clock, I have done a lot of reading and the evidence for waiting until at least 6 months is pretty staggering. Adding solids means adding mess and work and complication. Enjoy being able to pop a meal out of your shirt anytime because it only gets more complicated!

J