Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ringworm?

Default Ringworm?

Just wondering if anyone's baby has had a confirmed case of ringworm? My son has a small red ring on his chest that I noticed yesterday evening. I've put in a call to the ped's office, waiting to hear back from the nurse. I'm not sure where he would've gotten it from. He frequently gets heat rash on his chest and tummy that comes and goes (its sooooo hot here, poor little guy gets sweaty), and yesterday he also had a diaper rash. Not sure if these things are all connected... what has been anyone else's experience?

Default Re: Ringworm?

I have not had personal experience with my DS having ringworm, but have a little experience with the general ringworm thing since I've been a volunteern in an animal shelter for many years. Ringworm sheds little bits of spores that are REALLY difficult to kill off. They can, I believe, be dormant and around an environment for months or more if environmental conditions are supportive. If someone with a weakened - or not fully developled - immune system comes into contact with these, an active case of ringworm can develop. If someone with a strong and developed system contacts these same spores, ringworm will not necessarily develop. So it's possible that you came in contact with something too, but your immune system dealt with it. Have you had any dogs or cats in your home? Any animals in contact with your clothing or anything that could be a carrier for the spores (which shed REALLY easily!). Animals can also be carriers - ie., they have the spores on them but don't have an active case of ringworm. In addition, there is an incubation time (sorry; don't recall exactly, but I think it's at least 5 days) between exposure and symptom onset....
    It's not terribly hard to diagnose. I think a UV light source shined on the supsected spot will show whether the spot it 'hot' for ringworm or not. Good idea to have your ped check it out.....
    good luck.........
    -linda

I just got a call back from the nurse, who suggested an antifungal creme. Didn't want me to bring him in. We do have a cat- although he stays indoors and pretty much refuses to acknowledge the baby (still bitter about his presence!). But, the nurse still thought we should have the cat checked, make sure he's not carrying it. Really, the last thing I want to do is take that nasty cat to the vet! Certainly don't want the baby to have ringworm though.
    Still interested in anyone else's experience.

ugg I don't know I think I would call back and make an appointment.
    That nurse would the anti fungal do anything if it is ring worm I wonder?
    well thats what one web site says to use....
    Treatments
    An over the counter antifungal cream or ointment is the usual treatment for ringworm, except for tinea capitis, which is much more difficult to treat and often requires several months of an oral medication (like Griseofulvin).

Prescription topical creams, suspensions and lotions are also available, like Loprox, Spectazole and Oxistat are also available.
    does it look like this?
    http://adam.about.com/encyclopedia/1592.htm
    I hate hate hate when the doctors office is a pain.. mine always said that rashes needed to be seen.
    good luck!

Thanks for the picture. It kinda looks like that. Its perfectly circular though, and not nearly as red and inflammed, its actually pink in color and much smaller. It is raised a bit, which is also supposed to be a sign. I guess since its caused by a fungus, the anti-fungal should work. I'm going to give it a couple days, and if by friday morning its still there we'll head in to the doctor's office.

We dealt with a strain of ringworm when I was about 3 months pregnant with ds. My kids had it and needed to take Griseofulvin. I fought with it using antifungal cream (only certain ones) for 4 months before getting rid of it. By the time the baby was born, we had gotten rid of it in everyone. Then.... when ds was about 2 mos, he got a spot on his arm. We saw our pedi and used a really light layer of lubricant (prescription-can't remember the name) that looked and felt a lot like Vaseline and then an antifungal cream over that for about 2 weeks and it cleared up wonderfully, thank heavens!! I was so so so worried about it, but we haven't had any issues since (ds is 6 mo). Hope that helps!

I'd try the antifungal before going to the MD. We had ringworm here for no apparent reason, and the antifungal took care of it completely without having to go in......

Good luck! And welcome to the "I can't imagine how this happened" club!

Thanks everyone.
    So... we actually went to the doctor. My son was playing on a blanket on the floor and irritated his face around the mouth so severely it looked like a horrible rash. As I'm one of those crazy first time moms I rushed to the doctor thinking it was related to the ringworm. Of course it was just irritation and since appearing an hour and a half ago is all gone now. The bonus (since this also meant paying $20 for our co-pay!) was that the doctor looked at the suspected ringworm and said, nope. Even though its circular, it doesn't look like classic ringworm- just dermatitis/ezcema. We're still going to treat with the anti-fungal just in case. Crazy!
    Guess this means I can cancel the ringworm test I scheduled for the cat on Friday and save that cash!