Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: beans and rice

Default beans and rice

One of my friends (has 4 kids) said that with her kids, when she started them on solids, she gave them beans and rice like this:

Boil lentils - and then take the water only (no actual lentils - just the water) because it has a lot of nutrients - and mix it w/ rice cereal and breastmilk.

Because rice/beans is supposed to be a complete meal (amino acids) and then plus the breastmilk.....the baby should be able to digest it and benefit from the nutrients.

Has anyone actually done this? I mean, used the water from boiling beans? Just curious!

WAHM and exclusively breastfeeding my naturally born son since 9/25/07.

Default Re: beans and rice

I have never heard that.. but why not just give the rice and lentils?? They are both soft and great foods for babies. My lo eats lentils and rice...

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Default Re: beans and rice

Yes. In India lentils are staple. When babies start off with solids they are usually given the watery portion and slowly the lentils are added.