Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk allergies

Question milk allergies

Hi-
    I have a 2 month old who has reflux. My question is that some people have been telling me to try and go dairy free. The only problem he has is severe spitting up and cranky. What are the syptoms of having an allergie to milk?

He will sleep really well for a couple of nights and then he will have 2 bad nights of screaming. Granted it has only happened 2x but is this another sign that something els is going on? He does have a cold now-of course to top it all off

I will try to go dairy free if it will help but to be honest it will be super hard for me!

Thanks for any and all advice

Default Re: milk allergies

Hi-my son has reflux too. I have cut my dairy to 1-2 small servings a day and that really helps (as well as getting rid of caffeine). Also, reflux can cause symptoms of a cold (such as a runny/stuffy nose). Hope this helps!

Hi:

This thread got me to thinking - can a baby develop reflux later? My dd is 4.5 months old. She's never been a spitter. Now however, she can't seem to keep anything down. I at first thought she was sick but nothing at the ped. Didn't mention reflux tho. I've never changed my diet - continue to eat healthy and only cut out nuts at ped. suggestion. I do eat dairy and I love my coffee. DD has been ok till recently - could it be reflux at this point?

I thought that it genrally starts when they are 1st born. Reflux is due to an immature value that won't stay closed. After the eat they spit up or vomit. My DS vomits and will projectile vomit. Not too pretty!

I guess I should cut dairy down and try that 1st.

It's strange though I would think that if this is dairy related wouldn't he be screaming all the time? It only seems to happen every couple of nights. Maybe it's just the start of the cold that triggered him to go from almost sleeping thru the night towaking back up and being unhappy and then back to sleeping again! I don't know I may post this again sorry!

I am sorry that your little one is not feeling well. It is so hard when our children are fussy and in pain.

Yes dairy sensitivity can cause reflux. My twins have dairy induced reflux - also allergy symptons. Babies can have reflux as their only symton to dairy sensitivity. You child can have dairy induced reflux and not react at every feeding. You are probably not comsuming the same amounts and kinds of dairy before each nursing session. Some babies react only to milk or cheese, others to all dairy, including casein and whey. The only true way to find out if your child's reflux is caused by dairy is to cut out ALL dairy for 2 weeks.

Also, you babies can develop reflux later than at birth. Just like adults, reflux can develop at any time during a baby's life.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Here is a good article regarding milk allergies:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical...k_allergy.html

HTH!

Thanks-

One last question- If I can't have milk can I have soy milk? What tastes the closes too milk? What are my food options? Anyone else doing dairy free? Thanks

There are a lot of us who are dairy free on the allergy board.

Yes, soy is safe for most dairy allergics,though soy is also a common allergen. You can also use rice milk, Vance's Dari0Free (vances.com I think), and coconut milk.

It is very hard but doable.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

K has acid reflux. I have been on and off elimination diets and don't always see a difference with dairy(and its hidden in some things) She arches her back sometimes and cries inconsolably as well. Did anyone else experience this with their baby and it was related to a food allergy? I don't notice any skin reactions, but am thinking about getting her tested for food alleriges?