Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to introduce a bottle?

Default When to introduce a bottle?

Hi!
    I'm thinking of introducing a bottle to DD who's 8 weeks old. I want to give her a bottle just so that she gets used to one, so if I have to go out somewhere, DH or MIL can give her one. I'm not planning on going back to work anytime soon. So the bottle feeding is going to be occasional.
    My question is, what is the best time of the day/night to give her the 1st bottle? I'm slightly apprehensive about it. My LC told me to have DH give her one at night. However DD cluster feeds in the evenings so the night nursing is not as much. She comfort sucks at night. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Default Re: When to introduce a bottle?

We introduced one at 6 weeks. We did it in the evening while my husband was home. I pumped while he fed him to keep my supply in check. We did that every few days. I went back to work part-time at about 10 weeks. I wouldn't do it during the night. That seems like too much work.
    HTH

I agree with PP. Afternoons and evenings worked well for us. We also made sure that we offered DD a bottle at least once a week once she got the hang of it so that she wouldn't forget.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

I just want to add if it doesn't go well thats ok too...
    lots of babies just will not take a bottle.
    You can try a cup or spoon in a pinch.

Once you introduce the bottle, you want to be consistent about giving one. An EBF will likely NOT an occasional bottle. We introduced around 5 weeks and it became a DAILY routine. It was the led in to another DAILY routine. Which was Mama getting a much needed BREAK everyday. The bottle gave me the freedom I needed to stay sane and the the job of beomg a SAHM 22hours a day. MY DH got to bond with the baby, the baby learned that DH COULD feed him, and being able to look forward to that litle break every day where I could shower or sleep got me through many a growth spurts, teething sprees and the long trying days of separation anxiety. As soon as we got a little lax about the bottle, he wouldn't take it. So if you are committed to being able to have your baby do both, you really should try to build ONE into your daily routine. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

we intro's our lo to a bottle around 8 wks as well. I wasn't comfortable letting anyone watch her unless I knew she would be able to eat if hungry. She did great with my husband giving it to her, so she only gets one now if he or my MIL is watching her. Make sure and use the slow-flow nipples!

Thanks everyone!
    I've got the Dr Brown's glass bottles....lets see how it goes!