Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems with pumping and work

Default Problems with pumping and work

First of all, I am sorry that this is so long. I am having issues with pumping at work. I have a 3 month old baby who is EBF, but taking a bottle during the day with pumped milk. I am having a problem getting breaks at work to express milk. I try to take 3 breaks at work at the time that my son usually eats. He eats in the morning at 7 am, so I pump between 10 and 11 am, and then 1pm and 4pm. Today I did not get my first break until 12pm, and then I was interupted at 4 because there was a line of people waiting and I only got to pump 5 min. I have enough milk for him now, but I am afraid that my supply will drop. This is the 3rd week that it has happened in a row. I am considering pumping every 4 hrs, but then I will have to pump at exactly 4 hrs to keep up my supply, no matter how busy we get. So after my son eats at 7am, I would pump at 11am and 3pm and then feed him once I get home at either 5:30pm or 7pm. My workplace has a BF policy that states that a mother can express milk on regularly scheduled breaks and lunch periods. The fine line for this is that it is up to mgmt to decide if this is possible based on staffing issues, and right now we are short staffed. My son has had formula a couple of time and does not handle it well. I feel like I have to choose between my job and my child. I will not quit BF him, but I cannot afford to quit my job. Sorry that this is so long, but I don't know how to handle it. My manager is not understanding of BF at all, and the thought of it freaks her out, literally. Please help.

Default Re: Problems with pumping and work

Here is some information that may help you present your dilemma to your management in a way that is convincing: http://www.llli.org/Law/LawEmployment.html

Are you pumping in a rest room? What sort of work are you involved in?

If it's possible, pumping more often is definitely better for supply. If that doesn't work out at your work right now, then definitely pump when you can. Many mothers add in extra pumping sessions at night, or first thing in the morning, or even on weekends, to get enough for their infants during the week. By pumping one side while baby nurses on the other, many mothers find that they can take advantage of the letdown that baby stimulates to get a lot more milk.

What kind of pump are you using?
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLShannon View Post
    Many mothers add in extra pumping sessions at night, or first thing in the morning, or even on weekends, to get enough for their infants during the week. By pumping one side while baby nurses on the other, many mothers find that they can take advantage of the letdown that baby stimulates to get a lot more milk.

I was only able to pump twice a day for 10 minutes when I was pumping for DS. Luckily, I was able to produce enough on most days and my supply never suffered. If I didn't produce enough for the next day I would just add another session before I went to bed or even sometimes before work. It all worked out and I pumped BM for my son until he turned one! I just wanted to offer you some support and .

I am using a medela PIS advanced. I am pumping in the morning because of oversupply from the baby not eating at night, but during the day, I get just enough to feed him. He is taking about 18 oz and I am pumping about 20 oz while at work. I do have a huge freezer stash, but I prefer to give him fresh milk. I am going to donate a lot of my frozen milk to a milk bank because I have so much from pumping in the morning. I am trying to wean my supply down in the morning so that i am not up pumping when I could be sleeping.

I work at a bank, and I am pumping in the kitchen. The door automatically locks when you shut it. I still get interupted by people calling the phone in the kitchen because they call me. Not to mention that come into the hallway and tell me that I need to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by dlovesmelisa View Post
    I work at a bank, and I am pumping in the kitchen. The door automatically locks when you shut it. I still get interupted by people calling the phone in the kitchen because they call me. Not to mention that come into the hallway and tell me that I need to come back.
    I, personally, would just ignore all calls and all knocks on the door. Put up a sign that says something like "Busy-if emergency-then knock." Or "Busy-please call." Then when they call-you can say you're busy and we'll be done in XX minutes.

It's really important to your supply to pump when you need to and not be interrupted. Explain to your coworkers that you need a good 15 minutes of privacy to get what you need done DONE.

I'm sure people don't bother your coworkers when they're in the restroom doing their business.

Hang in there!!!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!