Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Please help me conquer the formula!!

Default Re: Please help me conquer the formula!!

[quote=LLL_Jolie;464914]When she stops, does the milk pool in her mouth or does she let it dribble out?
    She does let milk drip out the side of her mouth that she is lying on sometimes...not sure if that's intentional...maybe when she's using me for a pacifier. When she does this, she also gets irritated and pulls back (with my nipple in her mouth!) after I hear her gulp. Tonight she nursed for a good 30 minutes on my "good" side and I heard lots of swallows!

I see now. 1 oz per hour, not per feeding. This is all the more reason to wean slowly. Twenty four ounces is a large percentage of your baby's intake.
    So I should stick with 1 oz per day? This is NOT a problem for me...a few weeks is nothing at this point. When my LC told me 1/2 every few days, I thought she meant per feeding...that's why I was so afraid I would starve her.

It does take practice. Did you see the video?
    yes, i saw a few videos. i tried the way they did it and nothing...it actually hurt...lol...but i can work on practicing that. if i can't figure it out, maybe i can pump once or twice a day and see what i get...i was pumping all day and night before, so it shouldn't be as bad this way.

thanks again!!
    Last edited by Mistelle; March 14th, 2008 at 06:02 PM.

How's it going ???

Way too lazy for formula

Things are going pretty well...today she nursed for 30-45 mins at one point, and I was hearing good swallows, although she was dozing in and out...I just kept her there, where she wanted to be. She's gone to the breast first each time she's been hungry, sometimes reluctantly, but she toughs it out. I believe she still feels that the bottle where the food comes from...have to convince her that it's the boob! I've felt my let down in both sides today, and that's new for the right side. She was nursing on the left, and I felt it...she started gulping and kind of gasping a bit...I am wondering if it's OALD at times, even though I don't think I'm producing enough...is that possible? She gets irritated like she doesn't want the milk, but I'm thinking since that stupid bottle has 1 hole, and she may be getting sprayed by me, that she just can't control it the same and gets annoyed...but I'm sure she'll learn again.

We have a LC coming on Sunday morning to check her intake and just observe and see how we are doing. We'll keep up the good work and snuggle in bed all day tomorrow and I'll update with anything new.

I'm thinking you may be right about her getting too much, if that's possible...I was told that she wouldn't eat more than she was hungry for, but I'm curious now. She's been drooling for some time, and I've been trying to figure out why...the only things I have found are to do with allergies (possible) and reflux. She doesn't spit up, but I had asked her doc a long time ago about a noise she makes during and after feedings...it's like she takes a gasp...like someone scared her...I'm always worried she's going to aspirate when she does it. She hardly ever spits up, unless her dad feeds her...he doesn't burp her well...but it sounds like she's trying to keep something down at times...I thought maybe the drool is protecting her esophagus like it is supposed to. I'll speak to the LC about that on Sunday, as well as her doc next week.

We are going to get through this...I already feel MUCH more optimistic!!

Thanks for checking in!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistelle View Post
    She does let milk drip out the side of her mouth that she is lying on sometimes...not sure if that's intentional...maybe when she's using me for a pacifier. When she does this, she also gets irritated and pulls back (with my nipple in her mouth!) after I hear her gulp.
    If the milk is running out, perhaps she got a bit much at once, thus the pause.

Tonight she nursed for a good 30 minutes on my "good" side and I heard lots of swallows!
    Amazing!! I bet you feel GREAT!

So I should stick with 1 oz per day? This is NOT a problem for me...a few weeks is nothing at this point. When my LC told me 1/2 every few days, I thought she meant per feeding...that's why I was so afraid I would starve her.
    Right.

From your description, it sounds like you're making the milk, your baby was working on becoming more efficient at removing it.

yes, i saw a few videos. i tried the way they did it and nothing...it actually hurt...lol...but i can work on practicing that. if i can't figure it out, maybe i can pump once or twice a day and see what i get...i was pumping all day and night before, so it shouldn't be as bad this way.
    If hand expression hurts, then it's not an efficient technique and it most likely won't work. It should be comfortable and effective. Remember that you're feeling for the glands behind the areola. When you compress the breast during feedings, do you feel what you're doing then? You want to accomplish the same kind of expression, but without a baby attached. Be careful especially not to squeeze hard are rub your hands down the breast. Either of which could cause bruising.

Things are going pretty well...today she nursed for 30-45 mins at one point, and I was hearing good swallows, although she was dozing in and out...I just kept her there, where she wanted to be. She's gone to the breast first each time she's been hungry, sometimes reluctantly, but she toughs it out. I believe she still feels that the bottle where the food comes from...have to convince her that it's the boob! I've felt my let down in both sides today, and that's new for the right side. She was nursing on the left, and I felt it...she started gulping and kind of gasping a bit...I am wondering if it's OALD at times, even though I don't think I'm producing enough...is that possible? She gets irritated like she doesn't want the milk, but I'm thinking since that stupid bottle has 1 hole, and she may be getting sprayed by me, that she just can't control it the same and gets annoyed...but I'm sure she'll learn again.
    It sounds like things are really improving!

We have a LC coming on Sunday morning to check her intake and just observe and see how we are doing. We'll keep up the good work and snuggle in bed all day tomorrow and I'll update with anything new.
    Sounds like a great plan!

Please do talk to your LC about what a good plan for weaning from formula supplements might be for your baby. After observing a few feedings, she should be able to get a better picture of how much your baby is taking in. It's a possiblity that you might be able to wean a little quicker than the general recommendations now that your baby appears to be taking in more at the breast. I would urge you to talk to your LC and your baby's health care provider before proceeding with any rapid weaning plan.

Please do keep us updated!

It does sound better!!! How did it go today? Day one of the nurse in!
    Also remember that while there is only one hole in the bottle, the bottle never stops. Wheres as your breasts when the baby pauses, the milk will usually stop flowing. Unless there is some OALD. So when the baby pauses, she shouldn't be struggling. The milk flow from your breast should stop. It's great because the milk doesn't pool in their mouths when they fall asleep at the breast.

I hope after the skin to skin all day you have more success to tell of! I hope that your LO can now smell it and is getting more. How about your production? It's sounds like you are making more (which is the way it works) so after having her at your breast all day how are you feeling about your ability to produce????
    Can't wait to hear!
    Shelly

Way too lazy for formula

This is exciting!! Yay for you and your baby!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Yesterday went very well. Brenna and I enjoyed our snuggly day in bed together...we both got a lot of rest...and I'm sure she has increased my supply!! I put her in the bassinet last night around midnight, so I could sleep a little more sound myself. She had formula at 3:30 this morning, then I put her in bed with me. She woke at 6:30 and 9:30 and nursed...then at 10 I gave her 2 oz of formula because the LC was due at noon, and I wanted her to sneak in a nap so that she would nurse well when she arrived. Seems I had somewhat forgotten how she snuggles up to my breast...lol...it is the cutest thing in the world...I had to wake my husband so he could see her sleeping so sweetly using my boob for a pillow with her little hands each wrapped around it....

Great visit with the LC, who I found out is also a nurse. Brenna took in 2 oz of bm in probably less than 15 minutes, so she thinks I'm having pretty good output, but could still be a little low...so she recommended "More milk plus", which is a combiniation of blessed thistle, fenugreek, nettle leaf and fennel seed. With the way Brenna is acting at the breast (struggling)...she thinks she has reflux. She rarely spits up, but often makes that gasping noise I had mentioned. Alisa (LC) calls this a "wet burp" and says I'm right about the drool. I had asked her ped about this noise in the past, and he said it's a normal baby noise, but it wasn't coupled with the other symptoms she's having. We see him this week, so I'll explain that it's combined with fussiness when nursing (milk present) and the drooling. She actually works with my ped often, and says his office allows her clients to come in for weight checks...so I will save money there by not having to have her come to weigh her every time. So I SCORED, with my ped and LC working together...we will be able to get rid of the formula in no time! She wants me to start offering formula only at every other feeding, and feed more frequent smaller meals. She doesn't believe she has been overfed, or is nipple confused, so that's good...but I still believe she was eating too much.

I am going to speak with the ped about my diet and see if I need to give up dairy or nuts or anything myself and see if it improves. I eat walnuts every morning in my oatmeal...that's got me curious.

Anyway, our latch is good...she just needs a little work with her tongue, which we had been doing since we met with the first LC. She helped me to get her into a position where she's more upright, and had me use the U-hold to help her get a better grip on my "bad" side.

OOh...baby is calling and I can't WAIT, so I'm gonna get to her. I'm so EXCITED this is working!!!

THANK YOU all so much for your support...it means the world.

Can't wait to be able to say we've KICKED the formula...which we will then start referring to as the f word.

More later!

I am so excited for you!!!! You'll be exclusively breast feeding in NO TIME!!!!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I forgot something so cool! She pooped this morning, and it was like an explosion...it was very watery and yellow, with a bit of the formula "mud" mixed in...but mostly yellow! It really looked like the bm was cleaning out the yucky stuff. It went all over her leg and up her back...and on my arm...it's been a while since she had one like that...lol.

Yay, Mama! Soon enough you will be sharing your success story with others!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes