Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Please help me conquer the formula!!

Default Re: Please help me conquer the formula!!

The way I see breastfeeding is that you can decide to make it work and it will work. But you really have to trust your body and our mothering for that to happen. Our bodies, as women, were made to feed our children. It is rare in the mammal world for the mama not to be able to feed her babies (although it does happen). Your body will be able to make enough milk if you do what the mamas here are saying.

Demand determines your milk supply. The more milk removed and more suckling that occurs=more milk made. Yes, her suckling will help your supply. Giving sucking supplements and milk supplement will decrease your supply, regardless of galactagogues. Baby has to be at the breast as much as possible. Take a babymoon. Get into bed with your baby for a weekend and let her nurse as much as she wants/will. All day and night. Let everyone else do the rest--cooking, cleaning, etc, if at all possible.

If you WANT to breastfeed, you can do it. But your heart has to be in it 100%. You can not allow yourself to accept defeat.

If its not that important to you, you have to decide that for yourself. We can not make that decision for you. Most of the mothers here believe that its breastfeed or bust . Just had to say that. Your child will be okay if you feed formula. Lots of us have survived it.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

oh, if my heart weren't in it i would have given up WEEKS ago...or would never have even considered breastfeeding, given today's society.

overall, today has gone pretty well...she's nursed as long as she could stand it each time without too much fuss. i'm going to take the formula back another half oz in a couple of days, and do the whole weekend nurse-a-thon, and then continue coming down in half oz increments until she's off.

in the meantime, i am going to continue looking for success stories that will inspire me to carry on. i would love to hear any of you ladies' struggles/defeats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistelle View Post
    i'm TRYING to step away from the edge......i just wonder how long i should keep it up before deciding to just stick with the formula, trust God to take care of her, and finally just be happy and let all this stress go. i don't want to be so consumed with trying to breastfeed, even though i know that's what's best for us, that i don't take the time to [I]really[I] enjoy our time and take in all her sweet babyness.
    So this statement concerns me. Breastfeeding will consume you. It's supposed to. This is something that simply has to be done around the clock for about the 1st 12-16weeks. That is the way mother nature intended it because that is what is needed for optimal growth and brain development. . As far as todays society....I don't want to spend too much time talking about that, but I assure you, as much as you think you already know about breastfeeding and the reasons to do it, I promise you you have only just touched the tip of the ice burg as far as WHY you should do it. New studies surface every day about why this stuff that ONLY YOU make that is perfect for YOUR BABY can't even begin to be competed with by any kind of artificial milk product. They are all poor substitutes for the live milk that comes out of your body and changes and adjusts every day, every feeding to your childs ever changing needs. And I swear to you, you will not find any GREATER baby sweetness, than the eyes of your 4month old looking up at you while eating with complete trust in her eyes and breaking into a smile while at your breast. Or your 5 month old playing peek a boo with you around your breast.
    The reasons that this is what's best for you and your child are completely beyond the health risks that are eliminated with the elimination of formula. Because breastfeeding is so much more than food. I know you probably aren't yet at the point where you can see the bond that will be formed. Because you don't sound sure. As Erin said, for it to work, you simply need to decide that it will and it will.
    Do the nurse in. And don't view her frustration as a reason to throw in the towel. See it for what it is. Frustration caused by artificial nipple confusion. Be patient with her. Spend all day in bed with her skin to skin. She will smell the milk in you. She will instinctively want to get to the milk. Let her. Be patient. And as long as you have good out put, stop worrying about dehydration. The point of those videos was to help you see a good latch and determine whether or not you have one. Do you? If not can you fix it?
    All weekend. In bed. Formula supplements should not be used more than every 4 hours. Keep her at your breast. This is the way. Believe it.
    Will check in later.

Way too lazy for formula

i would love to hear any of you ladies' struggles/defeats.
    Look in the "breastfeeding beyond one" forum for an unlimited supply of inspiration. A lot of mother share stories about their tough beginnings and how thankful they are that they stuck it out!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I will be answering in several parts.

My baby is 8 weeks today, and we are still struggling with breastfeeding...I can't really pinpoint why we are having the issues we are, but I'm thinking low milk supply...Are there other ways to increase production naturally...besides the obvious putting her to the breast as often as possible? My girl is growing fast...and increasing her formula intake rapidly.
    The only true way to increase milk production is to remove milk more frequently. The more milk that is removed, the more milk that is made to replace it. Galactagogues (milk increasers) can help, but they don't work alone. Milk removal must be increased, too!

I drink a ton of water...probably a gallon a day, but I hadn't been able to eat very well (still haven't really) with all this being so new to me, and I was so tired (she did a number on me in labor, and I didn't sleep for 5 days in the hospital).
    Are you losing weight? If so, about how much per week? Is your urine dark or pale?

she's averaging about an oz an hour.
    So, that's about 8-10 oz of formula per day?

She wasn't latching well when we tried again, and was tearing me up. So I kept pumping...I was killing myself pumping around the clock and mixing formula...so I finally called a LC...The LC told me to start cutting her back 1/2 oz at a time from the formula every 2-3 days. So I started doing that. She started sleeping like 4-5 hour stretches at night, and wasn't having a wet diaper in that time...and she was really hard to wake up a couple of nights...that got me all freaked out and so I backed off the plan and gave her more formula.
    Right! It's not recommended to stop supplements "cold turkey" when those supplements make up a considerable portion of baby's intake. One well-recognized plan for weaning from formula supplements calls for reducing the formula by 1 oz (total) per day. Then, you don't exceed that amount. If baby is hungry, put back on the breast. A couple of days later, reduce by one more ounce (total). Then wait another couple of days. If things are going well, reduce by 1-2 ounces. Keep with this process until formula supplements are no longer needed. Be sure to increase nursing to match baby's needs and watch baby's diaper output as you go. You'll be nursing a bit more frequently as you work to decrease the supplements.

Here's a (non-LLL) resource that describes how to safely wean from formula supplements:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

Here's some information on increasing milk production:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

She nursed well just a couple hours ago, but was still hungry and hitting and tugging my boob because I guess she wasn't getting anything else...so she had 3 oz of formula afterwards. At this point, I haven't been nursing her every single time she is ready to eat...and I know that has a lot to do with it, since she tells my body what to make. She is so hard to read sometimes...she apparenlty needs to suck a lot...so I let her comfort nurse whenever she wants, and she takes a paci sometimes. One minute, I'll hear big gulps and she'll be fighting and tugging at my boob, so I think that the let down is too strong...then another time it will be like above and seem like she's getting nothing.
    What do you do when she seems fussy at the breast? What happens if you take her off long enough to burp, then latch her on the other side?

I will also put her to the breast EVERY TIME before I give her formula and watch her diaper count.
    That sounds like a great plan!

After 8 weeks of stress and struggling, I'm still determined to do what's best for baby and me...I just worry that it just will not happen for us. I've never faced such a challenge in my life
    You'll get there!

Have you called your local LLL Leader for support? http://www.lllusa.org/TX/

One more thing...what do I do if she's still hungry after I nurse her and give her the cut back amount of formula?
    The general recommendation is to cut back by 1oz total over the whole day. So, if your baby typically gets 8 oz per day, you'll be decreasing to 7 oz. of supplementation. 1 oz isn't so much over the course of an entire day. If your baby shows increased signs of hunger, the goal is to simply keep putting her back to the breast. Sometimes, you might find it helps to use breast compressions to help her take in more milk for her efforts. Here's a resource that explains how:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Forgot to mention...she falls asleep while nursing a lot, which LC says probably means she's not getting enough...or fast enough.
    Breast compressions can help with that, too.

She has been sleeping with me a lot more lately, because that's where she is most comfortable (frankly, me too)...she also sleeps next to my bed in a bassinet. I am going to start keeping her in bed with me and let her nurse whenever she wants, because we haven't been doing that either. When she falls asleep, she usually lets go, but when she wakes up and realizes she's hungry she gets frustrated trying nurse more, but falls back asleep in a matter of minutes.
    Sleeping with baby close by (in the room, or in the bed with you--following co-sleeping safety guidelines, of course) is a GREAT way to squeeze in more nursing AND get some rest, too. Not to mention that nursing around the clock will also boost your milk production.

my right is slightly inverted, which she pulls out...she's just much more reluctant since she has to work harder...and it obviously doesn't produce near as much. I haven't heard her swallow for a while on the right side, but she gets some nice big gulps on the left.
    Perhaps consider hand expressing a little to start the flow before latching on that side? Also, you might try pulling back behind the areola and sort of lifting up on the breast. This will help your nipple protrude and make it easier for your baby to latch on. Here's some helpful information:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/flat.html

well we struggled this last feeding...she actually refused the breast for the first time...gave her 2 oz of formula and tried the breast again...she would NOT go for it...demanded the bottle...but then she was irritated with the bottle and acted like she wanted the breast. maybe nipple confusion is playing a large role...she couldn't decide. when she was on the breast she WAS getting milk, because i saw it in her mouth and she was gulping...so confusing!! poor baby girl, i can imagine how confused she is feeling, like "would mom just FIGURE it out already!??" is it ok for her to lie flat on her side, with her head on the mattress while nursing? i've heard that could cause ear infection, but is that only with formula?
    Lying flat is fine. Whatever works best for you and your baby.

What happened if you kept offering the breast?

If this should happen again, perhaps consider stop trying for a little while (minutes, not hours or days!) to see if she would try to latch on, Sometimes, simply taking a break, slowing down, and allowing baby to self attach can help. Here's an article that explains why and how:
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVDecJan03p123.html

he just left me wondering if she's getting anything...plenty of wet diapers already today...no poop yet, but she's saving that for dad...and she usually has 1-2 a day...sometimes 3.
    The truth is in the diapers. What goes in, must come out! Sounds like things were going well.

if brenna is just suckling for comfort does that REALLY stimulate my body to make more milk? i don't see how...wouldn't she have to empty the breast to get it to produce more (or atleast be taking in a decent amount)?
    Yes, comfort nursing does help stimulate milk production. You want to a lot of nutritive sucking, too. But, yes comfort sucking does help.

If you're worried about your production slowing down, perhaps consider hand expression after feedings to help maintain/increase your production levels. You could then offer breastmilk as part of your supplement (remember--the recommendation is to decrease by 1 oz total per day). Here's a great video that shows how:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

i've emailed the LC i met with to check into the lactaid...that sounds like it would be a great way to go to get rid of the bottle completely. i wonder, though, if she would figure out the tube and just suck the formula straight out of it without stimulating me to produce more.
    Your LC should be able to show you how to attach the Lact-Aid in a way to prevent that issue.

overall, today has gone pretty well...she's nursed as long as she could stand it each time without too much fuss. i'm going to take the formula back another half oz in a couple of days, and do the whole weekend nurse-a-thon, and then continue coming down in half oz increments until she's off.
    A nurse-in is a GREAT way to increase milk production.

Do keep us updated on your progress, and do come back with any questions you may have. We'll be here, cheering you on!

That's exactly what I meant by today's society...although I didn't go into it (no time)...I figured you all would know what I meant...it wasn't any specific thing...it's how easy the hospitals/formula companies make it for people to just go with the formula, among many other things. Luckily, I do research, and I care about what's best for her...I planned a pure birth for this very reason. It's a shame how many mothers DON'T know the benefits of breastfeeding (goes w/o saying). I am very aware that it is much more than nourishment...I've SEEN that milk dripping down the side of her mouth, and that very smile that you talk about...and we have bonded tremendously even in just trying. I've cried through hours of pumping, spilled milk, and just the frustrated look in her eyes when she is trying to get milk and it's not coming. Maybe I've left too much out of my posts...it wasn't until the past couple of weeks that I wasn't giving it all I had...but I have really picked up the pace these past couple of days, and I AM determined to get through this...I have a lot more in me now that I'm more recovered from delivery.

Gosh, I'm gonna try and remember and answer everything from responses (which I appreciate very much)...I have been under the baby all day, so this has taken quite a while to complete so far.

I have been using compression, and 8 times out of 10 she stops sucking when I do it...and it's not just a pause to collect milk...she stops intentionally. When she continues, I'll try again...and she will stop. Other times, she'll gulp down whatever I can get into her...probably all to do with nipple confusion I suppose.

I lost 32 pounds the week she was born, but I haven't lost anything in a while...I'm still up 15 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight...surely to do with not enough food, although we are getting better at that. She sits in the bouncer and watches me make oatmeal in the mornings now.

Clear urine is described by doc as "pretty"...lol...so I'm well hydrated.

I have spoken with my local leader, and I was going to go to one of her meetings, but her son had a fever for the past two, so haven't been able to do that because she couldn't find anyone to cover for her. I am going to get in touch with her again.

When she fusses and refuses one side, I try the other, but same thing...and actually this wasn't fussing...she was downright ticked off, screaming red-faced...but I do believe she has my irish temper.

No, the math must have been off somewhere...she's getting more like 24 oz a day of formula...give or take a couple.

I have tried hand expression and the only time I've ever been able to get it to work was in the tub...and it wasn't much then.

Poop was a lot more yellow today than those muddy looking formula poops...that's good news, right?

Thanks so much for the links and advise!! Off for another booby snack....

Thanks for keeping us informed! 24oz is alot when you think that 24-32oz in a 24hour period is average amount an infant eats. I'll repeat that I don't think it is leaving a lot of room for you to produce. Were you able to cut back the supplements at all today? "Under her all day" sounds like a very good sign! As do bright yellow poops! Just continue to try to get her to the breast as often as possible and try to pull back the amount. I think that you could probably afford to cut back more than 1oz a day if you are supplementing 24 day.....but we'll wait to see what Jolie says. I just am concerned that she will/has been over fed. At any rate keep up the pace and the dedication!

Way too lazy for formula

I have been using compression, and 8 times out of 10 she stops sucking when I do it...and it's not just a pause to collect milk...she stops intentionally. When she continues, I'll try again...and she will stop. Other times, she'll gulp down whatever I can get into her...probably all to do with nipple confusion I suppose.
    When she stops, does the milk pool in her mouth or does she let it dribble out?

I lost 32 pounds the week she was born, but I haven't lost anything in a while...I'm still up 15 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight...surely to do with not enough food, although we are getting better at that. She sits in the bouncer and watches me make oatmeal in the mornings now.

Clear urine is described by doc as "pretty"...lol...so I'm well hydrated.
    That's good.

Some mothers find it helps to keep a lot of foods you can eat one-handed ready for when hunger strikes. Some popular ideas are: granola bars, crackers and cheese (or non-dairy spread), nuts, sandwiches, veggies and dip, fruit, meat jerky, ect.

I have spoken with my local leader, and I was going to go to one of her meetings, but her son had a fever for the past two, so haven't been able to do that because she couldn't find anyone to cover for her. I am going to get in touch with her again.
    Good! Local support can really make things easier.

When she fusses and refuses one side, I try the other, but same thing...and actually this wasn't fussing...she was downright ticked off, screaming red-faced...but I do believe she has my irish temper.
    In that case, it might help to take your time and work to calm her before attempting anything else. This could mean going into a darkened room, bouncing, shushing, rocking, singing, carrying baby in a "colic hold"...or anything that settles your baby. Once she's totally calm, you might then try letting her self attach.

No, the math must have been off somewhere...she's getting more like 24 oz a day of formula...give or take a couple.
    I see now. 1 oz per hour, not per feeding. This is all the more reason to wean slowly. Twenty four ounces is a large percentage of your baby's intake.

I have tried hand expression and the only time I've ever been able to get it to work was in the tub...and it wasn't much then.
    It does take practice. Did you see the video?

Perhaps first try these suggestions for assisting MER found in the link below:
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

If you are able to express, you will find that it will help to increase your production. The other benefit being that you will be able to supplement with your own milk, instead of soley formula.

Poop was a lot more yellow today than those muddy looking formula poops...that's good news, right?
    That's a great sign!