Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7th generation diapers -have you used them?

Default 7th generation diapers -have you used them?

So I've wanted to make the change to cloth diaper but the initial cost is too much right now so we're thinking eventually for the next kiddo. In the mean time, I've read about 7th generation diapers, http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Diapers. They seem like a healthier alternative but do they break down completely? And..of course, I have to ask, are they as good as pamper/huggies -my faves?

Thanks so much!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: 7th generation diapers -have you used them?

I used seventh generation diapers until my guy was about ten pounds, when he was big enough to fit his cloth diapers. They work very well, he had a couple blowouts, but that's par for the course with a newborn. However, they were so expensive that I'm glad we didn't have to use them for any length of time.

What kind of cloth are you considering? Pockets and AIOs are pretty expensive, but there are a lot of affordable options. Prefolds, used with a diaper cover are really affordable, and they are actually pretty simple to use. I started with 3 dozen chinese prefolds, 5 Bummis diaper covers, and a wool nightime cover for under $175. That was enough for me to go 2 days between washings.

When I upgraded to size medium, around 6 months, I only got 2 dozen prefolds and 4 diaper covers, plus 2 AIOs for when daddy changed him, all for about the same price. Plus, a lot of babies can where mediums through potty training because they get more slender as they grow.

I was happy with the seventh generation when I used them, but I hope you'll reconsider cloth. Babies look so cute in them, and they can be used for multiple children. Plus, when diapers go to the landfill, they get buried under mountains of other garbage and soil, so no air can circulate and promote decomposition. No diaper, even seventh generation, can break down in an oxygen free environment.
    Last edited by esther81; March 30th, 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: wanted to add...

Smile Re: 7th generation diapers -have you used them?

Hi,

I just wanted to add that there are tons of resources for making your own cloth diapers out of stuff you probably have around the house. It's really easy even if you aren't a great seamstress. Also there is a site www.miraclediapers.org where they will help you get started with cloth for free! I wish I would have known about it before because it's awsome! As far as whether or not the 7th Generations work, I would say they work great, but they are spendy. If you can invest in the cloth, I would because they will pay you back big time : ) One of my favorite things is not having to run to the store because you have like two diapers left.(Plus I always find like five other things I "need" once at the store...) Instead you just toss some dirty diapers in the wash and your good to go! HTH!

Chelsea

We have cloth diapers and use the 7th gen for on the go, out of the house/back up. I LOVE THEM! They hold up so well. We have almost no leaking, less blowouts than with other diapers... and where I buy them the cost is comparable to other diapers. If I had known about them before I might not have bought our cloth ones! The fit is great... ok I am going on and on... but I just wanted share

Also if you are worried about breakdown there is g diapers http://www.gdiapers.com/ which breakdown or can be flushed. I didn't think they held up quiet as well with our sons major poopsplosions but they are another option and in between cloth and disposables.

can you sew? Like you I wanted to switch to cloth but couldn't really afford the initial costs. I found a site called DiaperKit.com and learned to sew using her kits. http://www.diaperkit.com/catalog/ Its a good place to start at a very decent price. From there you can start experimenting with your own patterns etc. There are also FREE patterns online http://www.diaperjungle.com/sewing-cloth-diapers.html Both the diaper kit diapers as well as the Ottobre Diaper Pattern is very simple. It is much cheaper to make than to buy http://www.diaperjungle.com/sewing-cloth-diapers.html I also purchased a diaper pattern for 3.99 online somewhere but I can't remember the link. This is also a good resource with free patterns http://www.diapersewing.com/ You can come out very cheap purchasing pul for covers and making your own fitteds with super flannels you can purchase at any nearby fabric distributer (joanne fabrics, hancock fabrics etc) I have around $2 in my fitteds, mind you I had to buy pul to make covers but that is still very cheap and we have yet to have a leak out of them Hope that helps

Hi I use 7th gen, Huggies and Pampers and I like them all... no problems withblowouts ... I am starting on cloth diaper... I agreed with you there are expensive and you need quit a good number of cloth to be able to use the system ... they cost pretty much the same as Pamper and Huggies and works just the sam like.... my sis didnt like them cause they dont have any cartoons (winnie the Poo like Huggies) on them

Smile Re: 7th generation diapers -have you used them?

Quote Originally Posted by chelseawalker2006 View Post
    Hi,

I just wanted to add that there are tons of resources for making your own cloth diapers out of stuff you probably have around the house. It's really easy even if you aren't a great seamstress. Also there is a site www.miraclediapers.org where they will help you get started with cloth for free! I wish I would have known about it before because it's awsome! As far as whether or not the 7th Generations work, I would say they work great, but they are spendy. If you can invest in the cloth, I would because they will pay you back big time : ) One of my favorite things is not having to run to the store because you have like two diapers left.(Plus I always find like five other things I "need" once at the store...) Instead you just toss some dirty diapers in the wash and your good to go! HTH!

Chelsea

Thank you! I've been debating about cloth for awhile now but can't really afford the startup!
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks

Sent you a PM.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatWasIThinking View Post
    Thank you! I've been debating about cloth for awhile now but can't really afford the startup!

me too, I just applied to that site for diapers as I am a SAHM on welfare.
    Mama to JerBear, the rough and tumble kid, 18 months.

All done nursing, all done pumping. Raising a toddler with food aversions and doing my best to deal with three painful conditions!