Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old sleep patterns

Default 3 week old sleep patterns

my 3 week, 1 day old is having a great deal of trouble sleeping longer than an hour past feedings at night. She will sleep in 3 hour stretches during the day, but at night wants to eat all the time (about every 1 to 2 hours). Needless to say, after 3 weeks of this we are exhausted! I had been thinking of it as a growth spurt, but it has lasted 3 weeks. She nurses very well, but was a "smallish" (6lbs 2oz) at birth and seems to need to eat all the time. She is up to 7lbs 15oz, has lots of wet and dirty diapers, and yellowish stools, so she is getting enough to eat. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions...as I was ready to supplement with an ounce of formula last night (luckily, I didn't have any!) Thank you!!!!

Default Re: 3 week old sleep patterns

Have you learned to nurse while lying down yet? My baby took a long time to get the hang of side nursing, but once he did it was awesome. I could sleep while he nursed! My guy wouldn't start out in a reclining position, but he would let me slowly reposition him from a cradle hold.

Your baby is also still acclimating to life outside the womb, and trying to sort out night from day. Eventually, she will probably switch to staying awake longer during the day and sleeping longer at night. You might want to try designating a time, say from 7 pm to 7 am, when all of your lights are dimmed and sounds are kept to a minimum. Try not turning lights on or talking a lot when she wakes at night. Then from 7 am to 7 pm, curtains are open and their is more sound and light. She'll get the hang of things eventually.

Good Luck and congratulations on your new baby!

Your baby's behavior sounds quite normal. Newborns tend to have their days and nights mixed up for a while. After 6 to 7 weeks, look for some improvement.

I wouldn't risk your beautiful and successful nursing relationship with the introduction of formula; it can be a quickly downward spiral of losing your supply.

It is imperative that you nurse on cue to establish your milk supply.

Try co-sleeping! And baby wearing! And sleep when the baby sleeps (if only I had listened to that advice the first time around!!!).

Congrats on your new babe!

If you want some reading material, check this out.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsleep.html
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

my little one is three weeks old as well 9 lbs currently and he too has wanted to eat every hour on the hour at night and can go three hours during the day. please let me know what seemed to help!

my little one is 4 weeks old and i had same problems. now i express 5oz a day and sh has thos before bed from OH and she does the 3- 4hr sleep and will wake for a top up after this time.
    she was 3.5 week early when born and is now 8lb 1oz

caz

Yes, sleep when baby sleeps! That makes all the difference in the world. Plus adding formula will do nothing with a newborns sleep patterns, it will just ruin your supply. Try waking baby up more during the day.
    Mommy to E 12 , K 10 , A almost 6 , and Little J 20 weeks