Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should my 7 month old be nursing?

Default How much should my 7 month old be nursing?

Here's the situation....my DD is 7 mo and she bf's 4x a day. Once when she wakes, then at about noon, then about 4, then before bedtime. Lately, she's hasn't been eating as well at her noon and 4 feedings(sometimes as little as 5 minutes total). She eats 2 solid meals a day, cereal and fruit between her morning and noon feedings; and cereal, fruit, and veggies between her 4 and bedtime feedings. She normally bf's for at least 15-20 minutes so I am wondering if I should cut it down to just one feeding in the middle of the day so she would eat more at that one feeding instead of eating just a little bit at 2 feedings. I also think I would add another solid meal in there as well. Is nursing 3x a day enough?? Any suggestions?

Default Re: How much should my 7 month old be nursing?

I think that 7 months is too young to be weaning that fast- it's recommended that BM is the primary nutrition up until they are 1 YO. Perhaps you could try nursing first then solids, and not adding in that extra meal until older.

As an example...my 9.5 MO nurses 8 times a day, sometimes 1-2 times at night. We've added in 2 meals so far.

You will find the right balance for your baby!

It is fairly common that babies around your daughters age become more interested in their surroundings that in eating believe it or not. You probably find that she still nurses well in the morning or if she is still nursing at night, has not given up those feedings at all. Though it may be hard on your tatas having to hold that milk a little longer, your little girl knows where the milk is and when she is hungry will come looking for it. I often felt like I was forcing my little guys to BF but they came back to it more and i nursed them both until just under 2 years. Good Luck!

IT sounds like she is still nursing, so it's not a complete "strike", but here is a link about nursing strikes and other distractions, which are quite common for babies of that age.

LLL FAQ Nursing Strike

If you feel like she is not nursing as much, you might consider also breastfeeding before offering food so that you know that she is still getting plenty of milk...then offering food.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    I think that 7 months is too young to be weaning that fast- it's recommended that BM is the primary nutrition up until they are 1 YO. Perhaps you could try nursing first then solids, and not adding in that extra meal until older.

As an example...my 9.5 MO nurses 8 times a day, sometimes 1-2 times at night. We've added in 2 meals so far.

You will find the right balance for your baby!

I agree... 3 times a day doesn't seem much for a 7 month old. Milk is supposed to be the main nutrition up to 12 months. Solids really shouldn't replace nursing sessions. I think I read on kellymom.com that after 12 months you can start offering solids before nursing sessions. My 9 month old eats solids 2-4 times a day ( just a few bites here and there at each time) and still nurses 8-9 times a day.
    I should add though... around 7 months my lo stopped asking to nurse. she was too busy doing other things. During the day every 2 hours I offer and she usualy takes it! so you might need to be offering more?

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Thanks for the input...I think it was a strike because she's doing much better now. I think I will just stick with nursing 4x a day and 2 solid meals for now. It's working pretty well for us. I can't imagine nursing her 8-9x a day, I wouldn't get anything done! If I didn't have to work I guess it would be different. You ladies are lucky....more power to you. Thanks again for your help!!