Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby looks to be in pain sometimes? HELP!

Default Baby looks to be in pain sometimes? HELP!

Hi, Im new at this but Im hopeful that someone out there will be able to help... My daughter is 4 weeks tomorrow and she is doing pretty well, she is definatley different than my son who is 3 1/2 now was as a baby, he never cried and slept all the time and well she's the opposite. I recently determined with the help of this site that she has in fact been cluster feeding which was helpful to find out, being a human pacifier is not so frustrating when you know that your not the only one. So now my only "problem" is that Im concerned that sometimes when she's eating she tenses up and screams like she is in pain, and roots furiously for my breast even though she's already at my breast. Her belly is hard and she hates it when I touch it, so I think its maybe gas??? Not sure though....PLEASE HELP! She looks like she's devastated and it breaks my heart.

Default Re: Baby looks to be in pain sometimes? HELP!

Does it look like it bothers her to swallow? If it does, she might have reflux. Is her belly hard only when she start screaming or always? When babies cry their belly tend to feel hard, if it's like that I don't know exactly what it could be, gas could be one reason. When is her next bay check up?

Thanks for the reply, she swallows fine, I called her dr. office today and they suspect gas as well, so Im going to watch her and try some massage. wish us luck!

My little Annie does the same thing! I suspect she does it when she is overtired and can't quite cross over into sleep. It is like she is confused. She crunches up, flails her arms and kicks as well as feverishly rooting for a nipple that is already in her mouth. If I hold her a little snug so she can move but not flail, and rub her forehead she falls right asleep and is fine.

How are her BMs? Does she get fussy like that at any other times during the day?

My dd did this at this age. I found that bf while walking around and singing helped calm her down and then she would fall asleep. I think with my dd it might have been an overtired thing too. I would suggest reading/watching The Happiest Baby on the Block - in the book it says that this crying is normal in some babies and is a result of immature nervous system, not necessarily gas/colic. If your ped. rules out medical causes, then this book can give you suggestion on how to calm the crying baby.
    I feel for you - I know how agonizing it is to hear baby cry and how exhausting this is for mom! I'm still recovering from my dd's first 3-4 mos. and she is 9 mos. now (and much better, although very active and opinionated, which may turn out to be true of your bb too!)

Any chance she's just frustrated? Some mothers find that their newborns get frustrated when they are full but still want to suck--they get upset when the milk continues to come out of the breast If you think that might be causing the problem, allowing her to suck on a clean finger (nail down toward the tongue) might help. Most babies learn to "comfort suck" --suck without swallowing much--pretty quickly!

If you still think it's gas, you've gotten some good suggestions from the PP's. Newborns are often just gassy little creatures--their gut is immature AND they are experiencing a whole bunch of new sensations in their tummies that they didn't feel while they were in the womb.

Hang in there!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!