Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dr. prescribed vitamins for breast fed baby

Default Re: Dr. prescribed vitamins for breast fed baby

I also live in PA and my son was prescribed the vitamin D drops when our pediatrician told me my breast milk would not be enough. That was the beginning of the downward spiral with our pediatrician.
    We recently switched pediatricians and our current one was shocked that we were given any type of vitamin or anything really, the babe should not have anything but breastmilk.
    I do however keep my house open to much sunlight and try to keep up on my prenatal vitamins still.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

I live in France where it's common practise to prescribe Vit D and Vit K to babies. My LO is getting plenty of sunshine, we take nice long walks almost everyday (mild winter here) so I don't give him his drops everyday. Not to steal the thread but do US babies get prescribed Vit K? We're supposed to give him 2ml once a week. It comes in little pre-packaged vials. I think it has to do with blood coagulation.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by joemoe View Post
    I live in France where it's common practise to prescribe Vit D and Vit K to babies. My LO is getting plenty of sunshine, we take nice long walks almost everyday (mild winter here) so I don't give him his drops everyday. Not to steal the thread but do US babies get prescribed Vit K? We're supposed to give him 2ml once a week. It comes in little pre-packaged vials. I think it has to do with blood coagulation.
    As newly born babies, they frequently give vitamin k shots in the hospital. After they leave the hospital, I am unaware of any babies in the US who get them. I'm sure that some parents don't allow their babies to get them as newborns, but we did for our son.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

my ped also rec'd vit D (well she rec'd poly-visol which is a multi vit but just for the D). I read that adequate sun exposure is approx 15-30min a day- clothed without a hat and then they wouldn't need anything. It's definitely something to research and make your own decision on. I would recommend if you decide on a vitamin supplement though, not to do the poyvisol which has lots of diff vit's in it (& tastes NASTY), and go with a vit d only supplement. I use "just D" which is available online- no taste at all. Personally, we don't get outside too often until it gets warmer (even in FL), so I felt safer giving her the D- but I still only give her about half the dosage.

Here's the link to buy the Just D if you're interested, I don't think you can get it in the store; http://www.sunlightvitamins.com/

Warning, OT rant ahead! And totally directed at the manufacturer and not the PP.

While I do like the idea of giving just the one vitamin a baby may need, I disagree with the way they are marketing their product! They make some pretty outlandish statements on their site, imo. Here's a sample:
    What's the only vitamin missing from breastmilk? Just D.

/OT rant
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

I asked my ped about this. She said that as long as I am taking my prenatals DD doesn't need anything extra. I asked about the vit D since it is winter and we aren't out that much but she said it is not necessary (I live in NY).

mama llama- totally agree with you on the bad marketing! but, at least the product seems ok. I just chalk it up to ignorance on their part

My doctor suggested them as well and my husband and I discussed and decided what could it hurt. It was not like giving them candy or something. Vitamins are good and if it would possibly help my little guys then it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iryssa View Post
    Here in Canada it's common practice to give vitamin D supplements.
    I agree and we were told to give them.

my son's ped said at his 2month check up get the vitamins tri-vi-sol by enfamil and then at his 6month check up he did perscribe a rx for vitamins with floride