Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding on your back

Default Feeding on your back

My lo one loves to nurse while laying down and i enjoy it too, but my hips hurt after laying on my sides for so long, sometimes to the point that i cant walk especially when i wake up in the mornings, i wanted to know how to feed her while laying on my back, when she plays with me while laying on my chest she tries to feed but ends up smothering her face into my breast so i know she is interested, and i also feel it might help her because my let down is really fast and hard and chokes her even when were laying side to side or when im leaning back. So if anyone can explain it, or has pictures id appriciate it
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me

Default Re: Feeding on your back

Your LO is 8 weeks from your siggie so it may be a little difficult to have her nurse while you are lying flat on your back without a little support. She can't hold her head up yet. You can try lying flat and having a sturdy nursing pillow like a boppy (the back side close to you) under one arm and having your LO off to the side while latched on.

Alternatively, you can use the pillow to stabilize your hips while lying on your side. I would try this first.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Thank you i didnt think anything of her being to young, she holds her own head up all the time so i tend to forget she might need help with that, but ill definitly try the pillow under my hip first
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me

Maybe you can have her in the crook of your arm while you are slightly inclined and that could help.

You'll find what works for you.

"Don't toush da mango"

I had a problem with my hips hurting afterwards as well.

I ended up buying one of those little tube shaped pillows and putting it between my legs (just above the knees) when I nursed. I also feed the opposite breast (the one that is farther from the bed) by holding it to ensure proper latch and ever-so-slightly tilting my body towards baby. (If I lay on my right side, I feed with my left breast and my right arm kind of goes around baby and my left arm guides my breast.) It sounds complicated but once I got the hang of it, I no longer needed to hold my breast and it became very comfortable.

These things together solved my problem but my pain was very minor to begin with...

Pictures: http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/i...ite-locked.pdf

I definitely think laying on your back is easier and more comfortable than side-lying. I've done it since DD was your LO's age. I had her lay lengthwise on top of me, with a pillow under my arm for support. I also think it helps for OALD, but is trickier when you have larger breasts. But it can be done. Just get creative with the pillows! (DH's are good for that!) HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

That's a great link!

"Don't toush da mango"

that page definitly shows how to do it, and thats what she is doing when she is on top of me but that angled picture looks like the best till she stops smothering her face into me, LOL shes to the point now she doesnt want to eat unless she is laying down, which makes going anywheres impossible for feeding, thank you guys so much

Cool Re: Feeding on your back

I actually experienced this problem this morning (hip pain), so I thought I'd try to feed my almost 8 week old on my back. I placed him on his side with my right arm under him, bent in an L shape to steady his back and head, and give him a lift up to my breast. Then with my left hand, I gave him my right breast. What worked for me is, I wasn't completely on my back, I was canted at a 35-ish degree angle, and I have a D cup on the right side (favoritism, he likes that side better, my left is a C cup) If my cel phone had been handy, I actually thought of this thread while nursing (the things we think of while nursing, huh?) and would have taken a photo to put up, but it was on the table, behind me...

ps...what is oald?
    Last edited by milk_milk; March 6th, 2008 at 03:02 PM.
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

OALD = overactive letdown

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.