Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weighing less at 6 month checkup

Default Weighing less at 6 month checkup

My 6 month old had his 6 month checkup today and he is 80% for his weight and dropped from 50% (at his 4 month) to 30%. Should I be worried? I do feed on demand and he has plenty of wet diapers. She encouraged me to feed him solids 3x a day, but he's not super interested in them although I try, on average, about twice a day to give him solids. She said it's probably because he's more active (which he is, he's already trying to crawl and rolls all over the place).

I'm used to my babies being big. They're usually off the charts, or close to it. This one is different.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Sarah

Default Re: Weighing less at 6 month checkup

Quote Originally Posted by ZooLife View Post
    My 6 month old had his 6 month checkup today and he is 80% for his weight and dropped from 50% (at his 4 month) to 30%.
    I'm a little confused...you say he is 80% for weight? Or is he 30% for weight? I'll assume you mean that he's recently dropped from 50th to 30th percentile...

Your doctor is probably right that he is more active right now and it isn't uncommon for EBF babies to drop around 6 months for that very reason. If he seems happy and content after feeding, has plenty of wet diapers, than I wouldn't worry

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I was trying to get dinner on the table and type at the same time!

He was 80th percentile in height and 30th percentile in weight (a drop from 50th percentile back at his 4 month checkup).

Glad to know it's pretty common. My babies are always just so big and I don't see a drop until at least 1 year old so I was just a little worried.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Just a trend that I've noticed with other mommies on this forum and other breastfed babies I know... there seem to be a lot of babies who are on the low end of the percentile charts for weight and normal or high for height. At our 4 month appointment Lance was 75th for height and 25th for weight. My friends' little one is 10 months and only in the 5th percentile for weight (breast fed since the beginning) but in the 50th for height. Sounds like your LO is very healthy and I don't think you need to worry. My friends' little one is already walking, very smart, and is way ahead developmental in spite of being so small. The charts just don't seem to be made for babies who aren't on formula!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Well, my dd is 25th perc. for head, 5th for weight, 75th for height.

She had her 6 mo check up today, weighed in at 13 pounds 15 oz, 26 in long.
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months