Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sucking b4 latch

Question sucking b4 latch

When getting ready to nurse, my daughter starts moving her mouth in a rapid sucking motion before latching on. As a result she never really opens wide, and we end up 'slurping' onto the nipple. She's gaining weight like crazy so she's clearly getting plenty to eat, but it's not making my nipples very happy. Any suggestions?

Default Re: sucking b4 latch

Any time your not comfortable with the latch, stick your finger in her mouth, pop her off and make her try again. She may get frusterated but she will learn very very quickly (Like a baby bird) that she needs to open WIDE or your not gonna give her the good stuff! Beyond that you should always have nipple cream on hand and be applying several times a day. I use one Mother love because it's not animal based.

you can try and show her too. once they get so big they mimic what ever faces you make. Tell her open wide and show her.

My baby does that when she's tired. I've noticed that if I don't give her my breast right away, she gets the point. It's almost like she's doing it subconsciously (spelling??) and she wakes up when she doesn't get what she's looking for, and then opens wider. It's as if I have to let her know that I mean business and she's actually going to have to work a little bit for it if she wants it. Maybe you could also guide her a little by pulling down her chin.

My baby is 3 months old. She wouldn't open wide either. I had to try and catch that one instant where her mouth would be open and thrust her on. Now she knows to open wide. Also the soreness will get better. Encourage your baby open wide by tickling the chin and perhaps try to see if she gives any other indication of hunger before the sucking motion starts. Maybe if you can catch her before that, you will have better luck getting her to open wide. Always break the seal if the latch is not good. Best of Luck.

Thumbs up Re: sucking b4 latch

It also works if you tickle her nose, and/or upper lip. Has a reflex, they open their mouth.

Good luck!