Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my supply getting low?

Default Is my supply getting low?

Hi,

I think things are okay, just need some reassurance I guess. I am worried that my supply may be getting low because of how bb acts at the breast. First, he's 11 wks 2 days, gaining weight fine as of last appt, still has good output of wet & dirty diapers. That's why I think it could be okay----input = output, right? Anyway, when he nurses he gets really frustrated near the end of the feeding. He is a very efficient nurser and usually "empties" me in about 5 min on one side. But he still seems hungry and gets frustrated that there isn't a strong flow, I guess. He will calm down instantly when I switch sides but does the frustrated thing again once that side is empty. I can still see milk when I squeeze my nipple, not a stream but drops. He just won't continue to nurse when it's like that though, he just pulls off & cries. Any advice?

Default Re: Is my supply getting low?

I have the same problem. In fact tonight after feeding on both breasts, she was still crying like crazy. We gave her some expressed milk and she drank about 1 and a half oz!! then only started to calm down. The most I have expressed at one sitting is about 3 oz and yesterday when we tried also to give her the bottle (EBM) she drank close to 4oz and again was calmer and slept... I'm wondering if I should just start sumplementing with formula...sigh... it hurts a little to think I can't provide sufficiently for my baby but I guess I need to do what best for her right?? any advice??

newmum

It sounds like your little one (LO) may be going through a growth spurt. He or she will eat more often for a few days to increase your supply and then things should settle back down.

The best thing you can do is to nurse on demand. Offering formula or expressed milk (EBM) can be counter-productive, as the increase frequency is your LO's way to increase your supply.

Don't doubt yourselves and your milk supplies, mammas!!

It is quite commom for babies to fuss while nursing (and is rarely a reason to supplement) as this article explains all the possible reasons and solutions:
    My baby fusses or cries during nursing - what's the problem?

With my son it is due to the slow flow of my milk in the evenings (he especially acts out in the days following a bottle because he likes its fast flow and gets lazy and doesn't want to work for his meals at my breasts). Breast compressions really help to calm him down (sometimes switching sides a few times does the trick also). Once in a while he gets really frantic and taking him for a walk to take his mind off of it helps to calm us both down and afterwards he nurses fine.

It's important to understand that milk supply is not like bottles - you can never be "empty". It's like a river, your baby takes milk but then more flows in. Here's a good article to understand how milk production works:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

And that's why supplementation is such a vicious circle. The more you supplement, the less your baby nurses and the less milk your body will produce.

You are right, He'sAlive, urine output is the best measurement of your milk supply. If you weren't producing enough for your baby you would see dark urine and fewer wet diapers.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for your replies. I am not supplementing, but that doesn't mean I haven't thought about it. I just keep telling myself let him nurse and more milk will come--supply & demand I know. But when the milk flow slows down he gets so upset that he won't nurse so I'm worried that that is starting a cycle too of not producing enough milk. I'm sure he's probably going thru a growth spurt, he is 11 wks 4 days today.

I know I need to let him nurse to increase, but if he stops because he is frustrated won't that affect the supply too?

I will check out the weblinks you put in.

Again, thanks for responding. I appreciate everyone here.

Thanks Sara for that link on "My baby is fussy". It really made me see that all is pretty normal here. I will try breast compression also as it suggested in the article to see if that improves the situation.

Thanks